Another lesson with Scott Glen


Jet and Ted curled up together last night on the couch. They were feeling pretty happy after a day spent driving to Nanton (south of Calgary) for our monthly lesson with Scott Glen. Louanne Twa sets these up for everyone, and brings the sheep.

It takes a Village to train a stockdog. That is what came to mind when I was driving home last night from my monthly lesson with Scott Glen. Since I don't have my own sheep anymore, I am depending on the generosity of people who set up opportunities to train. It is a great, supportive network of like-minded people.

I feel very lucky to be able to train with Scott so often now. For the last two years, I would drive for two days (13 hours) to a place down near Chicago to get some lessons with Scott. Now, I am two hours from Nanton - thanks to Louanne Twa's efforts at setting up these lessons. Since Jet and Ted are from Scott and Jenny, Scott knows them. He has trained them both, so always has good observations and advice to help me along.

This is Ted in Michigan the weekend I brought him home. I used to drive for 2 days to get to the closest clinic with Scott - now I drive for 2 hours!

Every time I watch Scott work the dogs I see the importance of getting your timing just right on your commands. I know this comes with practice, but it also helps to see Scott's timing in order to emulate it the next time I train on my own. Ted is still learning a lot and apparently I could demand a bit more from him. For example, when I say lie down - he should actually lie down!

I am sure there are times when Scott must feel like he should just record himself telling me this, and give it to me to play in my car - "When you say lie down, make sure he takes it!" But I think that 20 times is going to be the charm and it will stick!


Jet in her spot on the couch last night (after booting Ted off...)

At our last lesson in January we saw Jet suddenly leap ahead in her progress. Maybe it is her maturity, but suddenly she is trying so hard that it is nearly laughable to see her being harder on herself than I could be. She lies herself down, paces herself and is extra careful to give the sheep breathing room. Scott has put a lot of groundwork into training Jet and it is very rewarding to see this training shine. Of course, I am probably jinxing myself by writing it down! It is my responsibility to keep it going and hopefully, not mess her up.


Jenny sent me this photo of Jet in training at Alta-Pete Farm last winter.

I am really enjoying all of the opportunities to work Jet and Ted here in Alberta. But I really miss having my own sheep! I am on the lookout for a good piece of land and - happily for me, but not for others - prices are coming down drastically making this dream seem achievable.

In the meantime, I will keep moving around like a gypsy with my dogs in tow, working sheep here and there and appreciating all the help.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.