Birthday Girl River is a Keystone Dog, at age 11 - Happy Birthday Princess!

Keystone: "The central wedge-shaped stone of an arch that locks its parts together. The central supporting element of a whole."

River is my keystone dog. She is connected to dogs of the past, and also, is part of the current group of dogs at home. Born on March 2, 2000, River came along a few months after Hawk died at the age of 13. She was the youngest of this group, below...

Most of these pictures were taken on River's 5th birthday in March, 2005. As you can see, there was a lot of snow that year, too!

Left to right - River on her 5th birthday, 2005. Thorn and Shaman, both aged 8 here, and Robin, almost 14 in this photo. Robin died four months after this photo was taken.  There is a good reason why I had them separated this way for a group photo...

As you can see in the photo below, Shaman was very dominant over Thorn, and always ready to rumble... oh my, Shaman. You were enough dog - why did I have four! Thorn was very good natured, thankfully! I don't think Thorn even realized Shaman's plans as he decided to break from a sit stay. But you can see it on Shaman's face.


I never boast about my dogs accomplishments but I will today. Between the 4 great dogs sitting in that picture is a a multi multi group winning BIS (Robin), 3 CHs., 4 TDs, 2 TDXs (the girls), one UTD (River), 3 JHDs, the top herding Rough Collie in Canada (07), two TTs and a Therapy Dog (Thorn) ... all gone but River the birthday girl!



A few months after River was born, I also lost my very special Katie, my sable collie below, to pyo. It was completely heart wrenching. This is the only shot of that whole group, taken on Thorn's birthday in May, 2000.


Back row - Shaman, Baby River (AKA Princess), Thorn
Front row - Katie, Robin - two very, very special girls


 
 

Above and below - River, Shaman and Thorn keeping me company as I feed the sheep. Oh, how I miss my sheep! River was a 'chore dog.' Shaman actually did herd the sheep - he was the #1 Rough Collie in Canada for sheep herding (CKC) when her earned his Herding Intermediate Title, and he had a lot of talent.



River always came in while the sheep were eating to take the water bucket which I had carried up from the house. She viewed her job as carrying the bucket back to the house. She took this very seriously.

You can see how proud she is carrying it! This is the trail from the field to my house, back in Thunder Bay.


 Robin waited in the house for us that day. At age 14, her trips up to the field were mostly in her dreams... you can see a picture of Robin and Thorn up in the field behind her - with my sheep in the distance.


It seems like just yesterday that River was the baby in the family... here she is torturing Thorn, below!

And now, River is part of the new pack! It started with little Jet, who arrived after Robin passed on. Robin died in July, 2005. I went to a Scott Glen Clinic in Cremona AB shortly afterwards, and met Scott, and Jet's mom, MAID. I arranged for a pup on the phone with Jenny, and Jet was born in October of 2005.

Jet is the first dog of the NEW CHAPTER of my life. I love this picture of them - Jet looks like she is laughing! They get along so well. I love my girls.


And now, River shares her life with Jet, Ted and Caden.

I always alternate having old and young dogs, but despite my 'theory' it never makes it easier when you lose the old ones. River is more like a friend to me, than a dog. Not only has she been around for a long time, but she has been at my side through many changes, the big move to Alberta, and a new life here. She's taught me everything I know so far about Urban Tracking, and although she did not pass her test last year - she could not have made me more proud with the great work she did up to that fateful last turn. She still loves to track - and she is doing so well! She is Lindau's Uncharted Course, TDX UTD JHD. I list the titles last because they are just not that important compared to everything else she has given me.

11 years young! Happy Birthday my girl. I love you!


Me and River after completing a 23 hour old track last year at Red Deer College



Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.