Doggie Culture Clash during cold weather romp

It might look like this is a serious encounter, but I took these photos during a very serious play session last Sunday. I love River's wild eyes!

The photo below shows how the play sessions usually begin. River pretends to go about her business, while Ted tries to stir things up.

Once the play begins in earnest, it is apparent that River and Ted come from different worlds. In the German Shepherd world, play is all about wrestling and grabbing. In the Border Collie world, play is all about "you be the sheep and I'll be the wolf." But somehow, these star-crossed pals find ways to enjoy romping in the snow despite their differences. Last Sunday the weather was minus 40 with the wind chill but it was a clear sunny day otherwise. The dogs really enjoyed getting out for a brief romp
during the "warmest" part of the day!


In the second photo - check out Ted's sneaky bite! He is like a little wolverine tumbling around under and around River's legs. Once, River did a surprise attack and Ted was caught off guard and he nipped her side, causing River to yelp. They were instantly forgiving - the way dogs can be - but she did tell me that her side was hurt. I checked it over and found nothing, so he must have bruised her skin.

To this day, every time they play, she will take little time-outs, and turn her head to look at her ribcage, and then look at me as if to say "I have to watch my ribs around this little Pipsqueak!" He is fast! Watching Ted play I can see many of the qualities that make Border Collies so tenacious as stockdogs - he is clever, fast, and never gives up!

Shaman looks on but doesn't get too involved. I've noticed that he has become a lot quieter and it is probably because he is protecting himself as he has a tumour, and likely he doesn't have the extra energy for real outbursts. I worry sometimes that Shaman doesn't seem totally engaged and think he might think a little slower than he used to because of his cancer. But he is happy!


Here is a collage I made of the rest of their play session. They make it look so fun to be out in forty below weather. I took these from inside the house, through the window...In the photo collage and in the pictures below, you can see how Ted "herds" and pesters River until the play begins.



Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.