Flashback - Hartnagles visit Thunder Bay herding trial

These are pictures of Caden in April 2008 at Tanya Wheeler's Tucker Creek farm on the weekend Ernie and Carol Ann Hartnagle came to Thunder Bay. Caden was only 3 months old

Here I am with the very famous "Father of the Aussie" in North America, Ernie. He was very interested in Caden's pedigree, coming from a long line of Herding GSDs from Germany. I had just written a book review of his latest book The Total Australian Shepherd, so it was nice to meet him in person, and listen to his many fascinating stories.

Caden was very interested in the sheep. He grew up on a sheep farm in Pennsylvania, and when he came home to Thunder Bay, I also had sheep, so it was not new to him.

Oh, and I entered the trial with Ted, but this picture tells you everything you need to know about my run. I had to be pulled from the mud, while Ted held the sheep in a corner like a good boy. I wish I had been given another run, but they did stop the clock until I could get on firm ground. I didn't have a run under the Hartnagles but got a run in under Marie Murphy who said I got the "good sport" award. Thanks Marie!
By the time I got going, the sheep were not going to cooperate, I was jangled, and Ted was over-anxious. Ted wrote his own commentary about mud-herding that was sent to friends by email, as I was not posting on the blog during this busy time.
That's Jack, Tanya's FIANCE and another friend, helping me get out. The mud was like quicksand and literally sucked my feet in so strongly I couldn't even pull my feet out of my boots! I would have been there for a few weeks without help. Another girl actually did her advanced run in barefeet when her boots were sucked off. Did we have fun - heck yeah.


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.