Goodbye Shaman my little buddy

It is hard to write much tonight about Shaman, who died at 4:00 today, with assistance from our vet after two days of slipping away when his Cancer seems to have taken a turn for the worse.
I love this picture of Thorn and Shaman my two bad boys. I figure that since Shaman has been so nice to Caden, he has learned his karmic lesson and Thorn will meet him to help him through to the other side.

I wrote about him last December when he was named #1 Rough Collie for CKC herding in Canada (arena trials) - this is the link (with some great photos of Shaman):
Earlier today while waiting for the appointed time and sitting with Shaman I wrote the note below to my friends. Sitting here now, the house seems very, very quiet. He certainly had a presence. Thanks to those of you who have already written to say sorry. He was quite a boy. Here he is last winter playing with a toy.

Nothing builds character or demonstrates love like nursing a sick and dying dog for a few days. It is so hard to let them go but we know when it is the right time, and what is best for them. Still, it takes awhile to let it sink in that they are gone.

My note from earlier today explains it all:
For the past day I have been sitting with Shaman who is quietly slipping away.
This afternoon I am taking him in to our vet Ken, and I know I will be too
broken up to write something later. I just wanted you all to know about Shaman
because you know him, and because it is pretty hard to be alone in a new place
when something like this happens. Shaman was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma in
June 2007. That night the emergency vet suggested putting him to sleep but he
was already rallying so I said “I don’t think it is his time,” and I took him
home. Since then he has had small bleeds (that is what I call them), but a few
months later he earned the last leg on his HI CKC herding title under dear Bob
Vest, and miraculously that made him the #1 CKC herding collie (arena trials) in
Canada. Not only that, but he has mentored young Caden my GSD puppy for the past
year, and has made a big move to Alberta – where he came from! We now live only
20 minutes from where he was born and Nancy has been able to see him again.

Last week he was really sick and I made “the appointment” for him, but
by the afternoon, he had rallied yet again. He is the toughest, most resilient
dog I have ever had. Since yesterday I have sat with him, helping him out a few
times while he tottered around, and now he is lying in his favourite place – up
on the couch – head on a pillow. I am giving him water and just patting him and
kissing him and telling him how wonderful he is and how much I have learned with
him – even though he has been a hard dog sometimes with his bad boy attitude. He
and Thorn never really liked each other, but Shaman has fulfilled his karmic
lesson by befriending Caden with kindness – and the two of them have been great
buddies. Caden has been hovering around and licking Shaman too. It is pretty
interesting to watch.

Shaman finished his CH quickly with some great wins over specials under
specialty judges. His first win was to go Best of Breed over specials at his
first show at the tender age f 6 months under Virginia Lyne. I remember running
to the ring and on the way, he grabbed a pylon and carried it in the ring with
him (!) causing quite a laugh. That was how he was – always full of himself and
bigger than life. He earned his TD on his first attempt under tracking icon
Ilene Newman, but herding was to become his thing. If not for Shaman I am not
even sure I would be in Alberta because he was the dog who really got me hooked
on herding. I flew here in 2005 with him, for my first clinic with Scott Glen –
my life seemed to take a turn after that clinic…and here I am. Shaman did earn a
HIT in 2005 and that made me very proud. But mostly he was a dog who tried so
hard, and always came through for me. He forgave my inexperience and together we
learned and became a team

.
I was so proud when we were voted by our peers for Nancy Chase’s Raleigh Award
in 2005 for the team that most exemplified the bond between dog and handler. And
thanks to Nancy for handling him for his first herding titles the year I was too
ill to do it myself (just prior to my Cancer). When I had Cancer, Shaman was my
constant shadow – he emptied out his toy basket bringing toys to me while I lay
on the couch – and then brought me the basket too! As I recall he and Thorn
declared a truce during that time too, which was in itself pretty remarkable.

Every dog is in our lives for a reason and in the past day I have been
listing all of the things Shaman brought into my life and it is quite a list. He
has been a gift, one of those “soul mates” described by Wayne Dyer, who says our
best soul mates aren’t the ones that are just like us, they are the ones that
challenge us constantly to make us grow. Even though he has not been physically
strong since his diagnosis, he is still mentally tough and able to hold other
dogs at bay with the lift of a lip. Always such a presence, so it is hard to see
him slip away even though I have known it was going to happen eventually. He has
pulled through so many times, I keep expecting him to leap off the couch, but t
his time it will be his great soul that leaps out of his old body, and I will
give him a great send off.

Thank you Shaman for all of the blessings and
thanks to Nancy for placing such a great dog with a great heart into my life.
Well, I am sobbing enough now – so will sign off. Thank you for listening, I
know you all understand.

Donna

CH Tallywood Spiritdance Shaman TD HI STDs JHD
Teacher and Friend
1997 - 2009
"Get the sheepies, little buddy, you're such a good boy..."


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.