Casting prayers into the wind for family at Easter

At Easter I always really miss my family and especially my Mom. I made these Tibetan Prayer ribbons and hung them outside. The idea is that you write a prayer on each ribbon and the wind carries your intentions and wishes into the sky. I love the symbolism and it made me feel at peace. This Easter as I am separated from my family and many of my friends, I send them loving thoughts from Alberta!


On my Mom's last Easter in 1995 I had a huge dinner to gather the family at my old home in Thunder Bay, as my Mom had Cancer. Everyone came from out of town to be there, and it was so wonderful.

She died 2 months later. But at that dinner we all laughed and loved each other's company.

Last year I made Pirraka, an Estonian version of a perogy (every Country in Europe has a version). My Grandma made these from a cardamom - sweet dough, filled with egg, rice and hamburger. So delicious! But not in my diet this year! I can practically taste them if I close my eyes, however. I miss my family so much at Easter - the family of my childhood.


That turned out to be my last Easter dinner too (for sad reasons) - but it is such a cherished memory. The only sad side to it was that we knew my Mom would die from this horrible disease.

Easter is a time to gather with family and appreciate what you have in the moment because life has a way of changing so drastically sometimes!


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.