Lesson Day at Phantom Ridge


Photo: This is my Blackthorn Willow crook, ordered from Scotland in 2006. Will I ever be ready to use it in a real trial? The handle is ram's horn, and on the silver ring there is a thistle, and it says 'Spiritdance.' I chose Blackthorn Willow because that was Thorn's registered name, so it is very special to me. Blackthorn is a favourite of stickmakers. Isn't it beautiful? Maybe the bigger question is if I will ever get it off of it's display hook!

Today I am heading to Louanne Twa's for a day-long herding clinic with Scott Glen. I am bringing both Jet and Ted of course. Caden and River are coming for the drive, and Shaman is staying home with his nice puffy bed and two bones.

Louanne is in High River, just south of Calgary. This is the first time I am driving this way since moving here in August. It will also be the first time I have a lesson with Scott since moving here. One of the reasons I chose to move to Alberta is for this kind of opportunity! The last time I had lessons with Scott, it was a two-day drive. This time - two hours.

One of my big challenges right now is getting back into the groove - I am rusty on my handling and my poor dogs have only worked a bit since July at home in Thunder Bay. I have found a wonderful place to practice at Randy Dye's Eagle Creek Livery, only 30 minutes from where I live. Another challenge is learning to whistle. At one point I was doing "OK" and now I just suck at it. But I can't practice with my dogs, I have to go back to whistling in my car, when they are NOT in it!

Now that I am in an area where I can actually trial my dogs, I have to buckle down and get ready to finally attempt to put things together. The other day, I worked with Ted on getting the turn around the handler (me) after the Outrun, Lift and Fetch. In my mind, I picture what I want to do, but making it happen is not always so easy.

I will take my camera today, Louanne's place looks like it has beautiful views of the Mountains. Here are links to her website and blog - well worth the look!



Stay tuned for a report of the day!


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.