Alta-Pete Jet TD UTD - her UTD story in pictures


A couple of weeks ago, I drove to Thunder Bay Ontario to visit family, finish my CKC tracking apprenticeship for TD and TDX under Dawn Sanderson and was able to enter a separate Urban Tracking Test where Jet earned her UTD under Marie Babin! It was a whirlwind week. Here is the story of Jet's UTD in photos. The photos are from Katie Jaramey, Karen Boyes and Marie Babin. Thanks everyone!  Jet is the first Border Collie to have this title. I hope you enjoy the photos and descriptions.

Below, Jet and I pose with Marie. Since the articles are on the ground, Jet is indicating them. Border Collies are very diligent once they know they have a job to do.


A few days prior to the test, we played tourist in my hometown of Thunder Bay Ontario. I had not been home for nearly two years and forgot how beautiful it is there. Here are Jet and Ted at Hillcrest Park which overlooks Lake Superior. Can you make out the famous Sleeping Giant peninsula? It was People's Choice in the Seven Wonders of Canada contest a few years ago.  


 Back to tracking, here is Jet's map. This is the main entrance of the College and the bike path was VERY busy during Jet's track with rollerbladers, cyclists and walkers. The first article was wood and the second was leather. In total it was 375 meters with 115 m non-veg. The wind was coming from the right (east) and before her second turn, she got very hung up at the edge of an embankment and wanted to go down to the river, far below. More description below.

Here is Jet's start on a green space in the trees. A lot of people run their dogs in here, and there are also deer. The blue line is the track.

 She went a bit off on the second leg. But came back to it. It is so nice of Marie to take shots of exhibitors while they are on track...thanks Marie!


Getting into the trees. Trees can deflect scent and bounce it around so I was not surprised by her wobbling a bit off track.

 This is the "not so pretty" part of the track where Jet was hung up on the embankment. I put a pink arrow showing wind direction. Scent can also fall off and is attracted to water. And Border Collies are also attracted to water, so that is not a great combination! Eventually, she got out of this, but it was a bit frazzling.

 To make it even more interesting, a few rollerbladers went by, plus a cyclist. Jet did try to run after the cyclist, and she does not like rollerbladers (long story, kids in front of my house...) so I was happy she was able to keep working despite her personal feelings on the matter...

Here is the other "not so pretty" part of the track. As indicated by the blue line (which was not really there for me to follow, haha) Jet's track turned to follow the ditch-like area or depression. Since I used to track in this area a few years ago - I was familiar with the layout and in MY pea brain, I was sure the track must cross the road to the veg on the other side. I even felt I had the approach to the parking lot all figured out. And that is never how you should track, as you know. You need to follow your dog. Jet tried and tried to go left and follow the ditch. My thinking was "NO way, I am not falling for that! I know scent can settle in a depression and everyone will say how stupid I was for going that way..." Thankfully, Jet would not even LOOK in the direction of the road and my only option was to follow her.

As you can see, her first article was ahead. NO, there is no big red X marked in spray paint on the grass as depicted below! I was so relieved when Jet lied down to indicate the wood. I picked it up and waved it to Marie. Good girl Jet, and good girl Donna for following your dog.  


 So as I watered Jet, this man came along and saw her lying there at the article. He started chatting, and then he patted Jet!  As a matter of fact, it gave me a chance to think and calm down, so I didn't mind.


 Jet also liked the timing. She figured he was there to praise her for finding her article. Then, he saw Marie with a clipboard and asked if I was in a test. I said yes. He said "did you pass?" and I said "I don't know yet!" So he was pretty funny, rushing off to let me continue. It was actually kind of nice.


 As you can see in the map above, Jet crossed the road a bit early but at this point she was all business. She entered the parking lot and immediately went to the north and hooked onto the leg. She made her way up to the turn, and took the turn. I put a pink arrow below to show the construction fencing, because Jet was sniffing the flagging tape and lifting her head to check it out. I think the scent stuck to this and helped her along. In the next parking lot some motorcycle training was happening and I kept hearing a whistle. That was a bit unsettling but I just kept going. I figured if it was Marie she would have to come tackle me, I guess!

 Jet found her glove and indicated it (top photo). Here are some more photos of Jet at the end. A very proud moment and a very satisfied dog. It took her 25 minutes. Most of that time was spent on the second leg and turn, after that - we were at the end quickly (or so it seemed to me).



 Here we are with Marie, and also with Sigrid Appelt and her GSD Night, who is related to my River! Sigrid is River's breeder, and also the breeder of all of my GSDs until I got Caden. It was very ncie to be there with her. Of 10 urban attempts that weekend (5 UTD and 5 UTDX) there were three UTD passes only.
Shirley Robertson from Lansing Michigan passed UTD with her Standard Poodle. She was up to Thunder Bay two years ago and passed a UTD on the same day as I passed with River. I think we bring each other good luck!

 Karen Boyes (test secretary extraordinaire) let Jasper out to see Jet. Jasper is Canada's first TCH Aussie and he thought he would offer himself as a reward for Jet, but you can see how she felt about that! Night looks on.

 After the test lunch, I had more visiting to do. I wanted very badly to spend some time with my Mom's sister, my Aunt Lea. She has Parkinson's and now lives in an assisted living home. My uncle Kent is there with her every day and they are so in love, it makes me want to cry. My aunt used to babysit my sister and me, and told us so many stories about growing up on a farm in Estonia, and later in other parts of Europe, then finally in Alberta where my Mom's family lived when they first came to Canada (Coaldale).

My aunt shaped a lot of my views of animals with her stories and I love her so much! She was so happy to hold Jet's ribbon and wanted to know every detail of the test. As always, these moments are very good reminders about what is important in life. I was happy to pass the test, but more happy to have such a good, rich life, where I can enjoy time with my friends, family and dogs. Parkinson's Disease is so difficult as it impacts the body, but not the mind. It is the same disease Michael J. Fox has.

 Then, we went back to my friend Linda's camp on Lake Superior where Jet celebrated doggy style with a big stick in the water, while Ted looks on. Thanks to Linda and her family for letting me stay at this camp. More on that in a future post.

 And I put all of the dogs away and spent some special time just with Jet. She is my special girl. So smart, very dominant, tough and determined. Also very loving and will always be special as my first Border Collie. And the first Border Collie with a UTD too.

 Onwards to TDX and UTDX. It was a great trip but very short at only one week. I will post a bit more about my trip over time. But wanted to share this with everyone!


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.