Happy Birthday Caden, One year old!

I can't believe Caden turns one year old today!

His first portrait! His full name is Caden von der KleinenWiese. Big name for a little baby...


Caden with Thorn's favourite "big ball" (in his new home).

Caden was born one year ago on January 30, 2008. I found about about his breeder from Shelley Fritzke (Tehillah) who has the top herding GSDs in Canada. After losing my dear Thorn to cancer I felt strongly that I needed another sable boy to fill that empty space in my heart!

Who couldn't love that face!

River was so happy to have another shepherd, and Caden LOVES River! They are best of friends.

Caden's breeders Bill and Sandy Wilson from Pennsylvania sent me pictures constantly so I could see Caden growing up. Their kennel name is Kleinen Wiese which is German for Little Meadow. Caden's grandsire is a dog named Nicky, owned by Ellen Nickelsberg of NY. Nicky is a legendary tending dog, who comes from the top herding dogs in Germany. Below is a painting of a famous photo of Nicky tending a flock of sheep. And below that, a real life photo of Nicky at work. I just knew Caden would have the drive I wanted plus the intelligence with dogs like this behind him...
On his other side, Caden's grandfather is Siggo v. Haus Antverpa, a son of Orry who is a famous 2X SCH National winner from Belgium. Siggo is pictured below...
Caden flew from PA to Duluth Minnesota and after a long flight, came to me calm and happy - greeted the folks in the airport - and slept all the way home on a 4 hour drive. I think that was the last time he was QUIET - hahahaha! Sandy said her dogs are vocal, and he is the most chatty boy I have ever had, with a comment about everything.


Ted thinks Caden is a great little buddy (even though Caden is now bigger than him, Ted is the older brother who keeps him in line!). They sleep together on the bed with me every night.

Sandy and Bill's sons Kevin and Will helped to raise Caden and make him such a good boy!

Below you can see Mom Hera with her new babies!



The Wilson's raise sheep on their Little Meadow Sheep Farm. Sandy also makes fantastic soap with all natural ingredients. If you are in the PA area, you can buy some at local markets. Caden was tested on lambs as a baby and he was very interested!

Caden visits his sire, Diesel vom Schulmeister who is a protection dog on a horse farm. Below is another picture of Diesel.
And this is Nicky's daughter Hera, Caden's mom.
Caden is from the "C" litter. His name means Little Warrior in Gaelic, and in Arabic it means friend. What better named dog could be my newest companion on this part of my journey in life! Since coming home to Thunder Bay Ontario, he has travelled across Canada with me and now he is an Alberta boy! Every step of the way, he has settled in and made me so proud.

Caden has grown into a handsome and sweet young fellow. I can hardly wait to see him fulfill his early promise in the years to come!

Thank you Sandy for trusting me with such a wonderful dog.

PS Sandy is planning a breeding for this spring! She already has a little waiting list. Her website is linked in the sidebar menu on the right. Have a look!


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.