Early Morning Tracking with Dan Waters

This morning I met my friend Dan bright and early to track. He started with a little puppy track for 10-week old Cilla, Ali's puppy. You can click on Ali's name to learn more about her, and on Cilla's name for her pedigree. Like everything else she does so far (she has only been on this Earth for 10 weeks!) Cilla is gung ho with lots of drive for tracking! I took all of the pictures below with my Blackberry, I can't believe I forgot my camera! I loved watching Dan with Cilla. When I get my NEXT pup, I will start this way. I had not learned this method when Caden was a pup, and I love it. As I always say, I never stop learning! Below little Cilla is tracking each footstep for kibble...
GOOD PUPPY!
As you can see, she is already very focused on Dan.

I did two tracks with Caden while Dan made some helpful observations and suggestions about my handling and tracklaying. Caden was so excited (as usual - when isn't he). It takes awhile for him to calm down. I was using lots of dried liver but he ended up not having a lot of the RHYTHM that they like to see in a SchH tracking dog. He stopped and started, and twisted if he missed a piece. Then, he rushed to the next one, or to the jackpot.
 
Dan asked if he could lay a track for Caden and handle him, as I would not know where it went (and I don't want to botch it up at this stage). While I laid my second track, Dan laid one next to it. Dan's track had almost NO food on it - only kibble after the turns. It was very short, and I was able to watch Dan and get a better look at Caden this way. By the third leg, he was doing his best. After this track, Dan suggested way less food. It is very obvious that Caden can track and he needs more focus and a bit more correction when he loses focus. Now that we know he can do this - it is time to buckle down with him and raise the bar. Below you can see Dan with Caden.
At the end of the track, we platzed Caden to talk, and it was nice to see Caden so calm and satisfied. He truly does love to work and is quite an honest dog, who doesn't manipulate. He always does his best! I do have to be quite clear with him, as he will take instructions well and is a good, fast learner. As with all dog training, I am the slower student! It was great to get out with Dan so someone could observe how we are coming along and give me some great feedback!

Happy Boy...
Dan also tracked Bronson...
 And of course, Ali, Cilla's mom. Cilla looks a lot like Ali.


Dan's dogs are the best tracking dogs I have EVER seen, in all my years of tracking. I love going out with him and I learn so much. Thanks Dan!

In a few hours, I am heading out to do some urban work with River, Jet and Ted.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.