A Tale of Two Urban Tracks

I have been having a lot of interesting adventures (and misadventures) with Jet in the past month. We've had bunnies, crows and mice, missing articles, evil non-articles near our tracks, snow, rain and sun! In this post, we have some good sessions with interesting results. So I call this post a tale of two urban tracks!

After years of tracking with River, going out with Jet is like starting from scratch. Her behaviours are different, AND I am training her differently than I trained River.  We are at the stage where I am starting to be neutral and encourage her to problem solve. I am allowing more freedom so she can take over from me, as I fade out of the picture. I am happy with her work but a few things have cropped up, of course!

One thing is that I have to learn to read a new dog and three things stand out.
  • First of all, I need a lighter touch on the line than I have with a German Shepherd due to her size.
  • Secondly, Jet likes to go slightly off track, face the wrong direction and think or take stock of the scent. When you watch the slideshows below, you will see it (and the video). A week ago at a track in Olds, she was standing there, and I was waiting, when we heard this loud HONK HONK! A car was coming along and I am sure the driver thought there was something wrong with me!! It did not phase Jet at all, of course.
  • Thirdly, her little legs move SO FAST! I can't register what she is doing sometimes. River moves a lot more slowly and she is a bigger dog to observe - so everything is more obvious. So, this has been fun and challenging for me, as always...I learn with every dog!  
Our two latest tracks are below, in video and slideshow formats. The Google Earth maps are also below.

Track One - "The Do-Over" Track
Sunday May 9 morning
Weather - light rain in morning, warming up, no wind
370 meters
Just over one hour old

A couple of weeks ago, I was not happy with my article placement in one parking lot. After receiving advice (public on the CKC chat list and private from friends), I went back on Sunday and put a turn in the same place but went beyond the parking lines and put the article in a better spot. I videotaped this turn. I also had an issue in a previous track with both a NON-article (someone's sock just past my corner). On this track, there is another sock - what is with these college students and their socks??? I am so happy to report that Jet sniffs and ignores it. This is a huge win for us!

Track One Map


Track One Slideshow (missing sections are on video below)




Track One Video




Track Two - The "Interesting Scent Puzzle" Track
May 10 evening
Weather - sunny and warm, no wind, dry
340 meters
Exactly one hour old

Because I felt Jet was hesitating a little on this track and needed a good successful one - I did another track on Monday night. I loaded the first part of this leg with bait and used water on the turn. As the track progressed, I used less bait and other clues. I threw in a second non-veg turn at the end with no bait. By then she was on...but she did arch wide in her search for the article. In part she went to see a paper cup, but...

...I also followed the advice noted in track one, above. On the first nv leg and turn I was avoiding the yellow lines and making the turn away from the lines. She is dead on here. The article is way too close to the next turn (you should NOT find this kind of set-up in a test) but she does it beautifully, along with the next turn to veg.

For the second non-veg legs and turn, I did my usual thing and walked out along the edge of the lines. This more closely approximates what you would find in a test. There are a lot of variables at play here, but the difference in how she handles the non-veg is interesting. She chooses to make the transition a bit to the right rather than between the two cars, lining her up with a curb that she has to go over - not the best entry. Then, does she go off on that leg because of the cup, or does she go to the cup because of how the scent is behaving? I stay on track (at the edge of the lines) so you can see where she is relative to it. She is very sure of the location of the article though! A happy ending.
Track Two Map


Track Two Slideshow (missing sections are in video, below)

Track Two Video

Part One


Part Two


Part Three (to end)


I love working with my little Jet. She is ungodly smart, tough, and loves a job. Over time I look forward to having the same teamwork and comfort with Jet that I have with River.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.