Tracking Day - my vision vs. reality

Jet poses with her wooden article at the end of her track today.

It happens sometimes...things are going along just great, and one day you do everything the same and nothing goes right! That is how I felt today.

I had a vision of how my day would go and here is how it went: Lay a track for Jet with a simple open turn, and follow with my video camera to capture the elegant manner in which she flawlessly gets to the end. Then, lay a U track for Caden and work on his technique. Use less food and make sure he buckles down. Communicate my wishes to him through telepathy, which he picks up because he loves me so much. We work as a team and he also does a flawless track. I am so proud and happy! THE END.

Well, that was the fairytale!

In real life - Jet got sidetracked by a sock way off the second corner that was not mine. She pulled very hard to get to it, and indicated it. I told her NO, get up, let's go. The wind was blowing that way, and now I wonder if it picked up my scent. Maybe next time, I will just tuck it into my bag rather than say NO. CRAP. BAD DONNA. When I said no, it really shook her up. So when she next came to the plastic article, she did not indicate that. Then, my cloth article was missing - and she circled around the area but it apparently blew away -as the wind had picked up.


After that, she went out and did a very nice hard surface turn, even though the wind pushed her past the actual turn and she did some detectice work on the far side of the parking lot area to get to the article - without my interference at least! Initially you can see how she stands and looks away from the track. She does this all the time, when she thinks. She never faces the track, then she whirls around. It is strange but consistent.



However, you might see that she looks stressed at the glove. I put an insurance article beyond the parking lot on the grass, just in case the glove went missing, as it was out in the open. She easily found this and did seem a bit happier there. I just let her relax at it. I sat on the ground and fed her, and patted her. This was not an ideal performance, but we did muddle through it. One of those days!

And, got a grass stain on my new jeans when I did it. ACK! Why did I wear them tracking? I should know better. A college professor was going by (I assume a prof by his age) and he offered to take a picture of me with Jet. That turned out kind of cute at least, not that I want to remember this practice session, particularly.


Because of the wind (I assume) Caden too, pulled so hard to pass his corner that my fingers turned purple. He is so strong! He did a great job up to there. Then I put him back on track (well, I made him find it and he did) and he did a nice job until 10 feet from his jackpot and nearly pulled me onto my face. I am afraid I can't share the video because I kept recording while I nearly fell and had lost feeling in my hand - maybe I could dub in some music so you can't HEAR me in all my frustration begging him to slow down and muttering under my breath (I admit it, I hold nothing back!)


I laid a LONG track for River that I was going to do tonight - but I had a surprise invitation for a drive and dinner from my friend John.  THAT sounded much nicer than more tracking today. I guess that makes him the Knight in Shining Armour in the fairytale!

These days happen. But a day tracking is still better than a day in the office (as the saying goes)...Tomorrow I will do another track with Jet and hope it goes much better! I plan to re-lay my track from last weekend with a few tweaks. I wanted to do that today, but there were too many cars in that lot for some reason.

Don't people know I am trying to track? Yeesh! Grrrr...


Clearly Caden HAS learned that if he runs back to the car he gets a treat there - seriously this is an important part of my training routine. I love Caden's drive to work and he loves to track. I know we will get it together for the SchH style we are trying to perfect.

I know we will, I know we will, I know we will...

TOMORROW, I will run River on her track. I laid it at 11:30 AM so it will be nearly 20 hours old but I know the morning moisture will freshen it up. I can hardly wait! See - the tracking addict clings to the vision of the next track! Yet, I do love to track with River. She is an old partner and we work well together. These young guys - Caden and Jet - they are testing my ability and sometimes my patience, and making me dig deep to remember I love to track! Tomorrow, Jet and Caden will get a nice baited track each too.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.