The great LAND search is on

My dream was to move to Alberta, get sheep and move on with trialing my Border Collies Jet and Ted. Below is the sign I had on the walk up to my little field back in Thunder Bay.


When I moved here, land prices were at an all-time high. So, I put things on hold and have made the best of things in my cute little Penhold house. But suddenly, it's a buyer's market with a lot of acreages for sale. I hear some may even come OFF market until prices go up again.

I miss having sheep so much! Watching the US Border Collie Nationals really rubbed it in. Below is a view of my sheep in my little field on my 5 acres back in northern Ontario. I never dreamed it would be so hard to replace that when I moved here! But I just don't feel like myself without sheep. I feel like a person in limbo. And it's hard to see my dogs get older as I bide my time to find a place!


So I've been desperately wading through listings and am seeing about three or four places this week! They are all within driving distance of work - from 20 to 45 minutes away. They range from 4 to 32 acres. A couple have more land adjacent that can be leased or rented.

This is Hazel in front, and Pebbles behind. I miss my girls.

By Thunder Bay standards, the properties I am looking at are outrageously priced, but by Alberta standards, they are pretty good prices. I guess a mortgage is a mortgage and it is important to listen to your soul's calling, right?

Having sheep and land for the dogs would be SO AWESOME! The dogs would be so happy. I would be so happy. River used to help bring the bucket back after bringing water to the sheep. I love this shot I took of her a few winters ago, below. She is so proud.


Caden was just a pup when I moved here. But he comes from herding lines and needless to say, it would be very cool to expose him to sheep. In the photo below, he is a wee pup looking into the field towards the sheep! Boy, has he grown. And there is my Shaman hanging out with us. Don't you love the sheep on my fencepost? It is in my front entry right now, sitting in a window.


AND I KNOW TWO DOGS WHO WOULD BE THRILLED TO HAVE SHEEP AGAIN...


Naturally, this is all happening just before the snow flies. Wish me luck!

PS, my friend sent this link to me - it is my old house in Thunder Bay - now owned by a couple who have started to breed Standard Poodles. Oh, it hurts my heart to see these photos. That's MY field, my deck, those are MY trees and my flowers! Oh, it's hard. There are days I am very sad I left, but here I am, and I am making a new life...

Here is the link - (NOT an endorsement of any kind as I don't know these people) - http://www.balsamridgepoodles.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=28


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.