Jet's Motivational Urban Track

This morning I did a short field track for Jet and worked on her corners and some pops to correct her and keep her on the track. Tonight, I laid a one hour old motivation track for Jet at Red Deer College. Aside from peeing (she may be coming into season but still...) she did a very nice job. Here is the map. It started at the bottom. First article was a wooden SchH article near the top end of leg one just past a row of spruce trees. Last article was a leather glove, rolled up small to blend into the curb.


She was a bit scattered on the last non-veg turn but then found it and was very sure once she located the leg. I am never sure, was it too fresh for her? Could it be her coming into season? Or just not a lot of practice lately? Or, one of those days - which is most likely. Once she got on it, she pulled me to the last article!

I taped this with my iPhone in one-minute chunks because it is hard to upload to YouTube from the iPhone if they are any longer. She did this track in just under nine minutes.

Part one, start and first leg. I wanted her to spend more time on the scent pad as you will see. This leg was in a crosswind, and you may hear me say no or good job as I would like her to focus on the primary track.



Part two: Jet settles into a nice pace along the boulevard. You can tell I don't talk to her a lot, because it startles her whan I say good girl and throws her off a bit. I also see her think it may go off the curb, and she checks then gets back on track nicely.



Part three: Jet continues along the boulevard and over a gravel walkway. I give her some gentle pops along here. You can see a black car towards the end of this one-minute chunk. It REEKED of pot! Two young boys were sitting in there puffing away. I avoided filming in their direction but yeesh. Disgusting. It didn't bother Jet at all!



Part four: Goes along a row of huge spruce trees with lots of needles on the ground. Does not bother Jet. She indicates her first article, wood.



Part five: This leads to a right turn just before the road. I have been incorporating these into my tracks, after River missed a similar turn and was 50 meters from a Tracking CH. If you look, you will see a little dandelion all white and fluffy. The turn is right there, and she nails it. I say good girl. Did it throw her off? She goes back to it, and carries on over a roadway to the right.



Part six: Crosses another driveway into the parking lot then makes a left turn on a concrete sidewalk. Double checks the direction and goes the right way. I crossed on the crosswalk area of the road, but did NOT step on any painted lines, as the scent is different. I was careful to only step on the asphalt as I went across. I think this really made a difference in her crossing. She wavers to the left, but cars were going by and I am sure they moved the scent to that lightpost.



Part seven: Nice area of long veg for an interesting transition. She goes through fine, twice checking the dirt road to the left but discounting it. Nice turn exactly where I turned. The long veg helps with the turn. I entered the parking lot to the left of the yellow line you see. But, she gets drawn to the gravel. I cut her a bit of slack to see what she is doing, then she pees. ARGH. But she may be coming into season. It is permitted in CKC but a huge penalty in SchH tracking. I don't like it, so say no and bring her back to re-enter the parking lot in part 8 below.



Part eight - to the end...She goes into the lot which forms a t and is fairly tight - not really a lot so much as two intersecting driveways. When she goes back to the gravel I watch closely but she is working now. At the intersection of the two lanes, she checks every direction with purpose. At the moment that she discovers the track it is so obvious! She takes off and I have to pick up my pace (you can hear my car keys jangling).

The glove was rolled up and tucked into the curb so it would not be visible. When I say show me, she has to crook her head to touch it with her chin, which is so cute. She and I played a great game of tug all the way back to the car! Good girl Jet.


Category Article , , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.