All in the Little Meadow Family - the Giggle Ball, and more pics with my Dad!

Klienen Wiese means Little Meadow in German. Caden is my first GSD from a different kennel as I wanted to add a GSD from working lines to my family and broaden my experience. Getting a GSD from a new kennel means learning the new idiosyncracies of that bloodline. Yesterday, Sandy his breeder sent me this picture of his brother Aiko. That is Aiko and Caden's mom Hera on the left. I want you to notice what is in Aiko's mouth...then scroll down...
I took this picture of Caden - YESTERDAY - the day I got the picture above from Pennsylvania. They both have GIGGLE BALLS! These balls are great. You can get them out of their mouths using the little feet. Caden runs around squeaking his and he sounds like an alien speaking some space language - WEEP, beepup, beebubupup weep weep beep baddabadda beep!

There are many things you can do with a Giggle Ball...like drop it in your water tub and pull it out again before the evil Border Collie gets it... It is an exercise in speed...hence my blurred photo
Then you can "out" the ball to your owner...
And sit back like a good boy...
And SIT until she throws it back for you...
Or Platz, which is what the Schutzhund trainers use for "lie down." It is a stronger phrase to say than lie down, and I am finding that Jet and Ted are downing very quickly for it - maybe I will use it on the field! Try saying PLATZ and then LIE DOWN! They do come out differently...
And another speed exercise - is to catch the ball before the evil Border Collie (Jet, again, sigh - I guess she is the self-appointed assistant trainer)... I suppose you have noticed my grass - it is so dry in Alberta this spring everything is suffering...
And if you want to get away from the evil Border Collie you can take your Giggle Ball to the other side of the 30 inch gate - turned on its side supposedly to keep dogs from the side of the house...I've been noticing that Caden uses this area as his private retreat in the backyard...(yes the hose is there from filling up the tub, I need to put it away)...
And when you are ready for more, you can jump back - to the waiting, evil, Border Collie...(Jet, again! I am starting to call her my little Wolverine)...And by the way, that hole is one of Jet's prize holes, too. Ted, by comparison, is just such an angel... while my dad is here, this is how Ted is spending most of his time...
Earlier in my dad's visit it snowed (on May 18). There he is on the deck with Caden. River spends a lot of time trying to persuade Jet to mend her evil ways. As you can see, River is 'talking' to Jet (dog language) here...River is my top dog and everyone respects her. I call her "the Princess..." but she calls herself The Punither (OK, I mean the Punisher but River has a little lisping thing)...I love all my dogs (geez is that obvious) and am really enjoying discovering the new things Caden brings to our little family. First of all, he is a German Shepherd so of course he has all of those wonderful qualities that make us love this breed. But, he is very high drive and more busy and active like the Border Collies. He just WANTS to be given a job and do anything for me. But he is also very balanced with a nice even temperament. He loves people and is so good with other dogs. When he comes into the house, he takes over his favourite chair and sleeps on the bed beside me at night.

All that play can tire you out!


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.