New places, new toys, new scent conditions

Now that winter has passed, I am discovering some fun stuff about Red Deer. It has great walking trails and bike paths. I take Jet and Ted to Three Mile Bend dog park, which is huge and open. They LOVE it there and can run to their heart's content. They posed for me at the dogpark on the weekend.

I have another plan for Caden... which will be great for me, too!
After some research I have bought a mountain bike! The Devinci Cameleon 3. I am so excited. I took it for a test ride and just loved it. I tried the Cameleon 2 but the "3" felt really good. Red Deer has fantastic bike trails from north to south, through the entire town. I plan to bike with Caden who really needs more than the walks we are doing. I walk Caden and River for 30 minutes, drop River off, and walk Caden for another 30-45 minutes with Jet and Ted.
I will try Jet and Ted with the bike too but they are also getting to run at the dog park, and we need to come up with a new schedule for herding, now that I am feeling more settled in.
Jet and Ted could live in the water at Three Mile Bend (which is on the Red Deer River). But Jet is getting a reputation for being a bitch. I wonder why? Here she is stealing yet another dog's toy - she swims faster than a sporting dog! That's Jet with the orange dummy, and poor Ludo the English Springer swimming along worrying about it. Ted is a bit kinder, but he can be a bit possessive too. I had to talk to them about this...
In fairness to Ted, this Golden tried to take Ted's best stick.

As for River, we know her favourite spot is to lie on the bed. I am building up her endurance a little as she is finding the dryness and altitude here more difficult for tracking. I have taken her back to shorter motivation tracks. We went out two nights ago with great excitement because it was raining! I know - what a strange hobby. River pulled and was more confident than I have seen her since the snow melted. The photo below is a few weeks ago.
This grass is DRY!
My friend Dan's (Schutzhund Club) dogs track with no trouble on it. But they are used to it, and they have had a different kind of training. I am trying a few new things with River to build her up here.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.