Ted's best track ever! HITT may be the way to restart Ted in tracking...

I am pretty interested in Steve White's HITT - Hydration Intensified Tracking Training - method. All of my dogs track, so I have no one to start with. Well, except perhaps Ted. Ted seemed to pick up tracking very quickly when I first got him. However, he developed an obsession with articles, and abandoned all form on the track in his determination to simply find the fastest way to the article where he would pounce like a cat and start tossing it in the air!
Did I mention that Ted is a Border Collie? (in case you have not seen his commentaries on my blog in the past - Ted is also a published author). Ted is many things. He is a great sheep herding dog, and a wonderful pal - incredibly bright and affectionate with a rich inner life (that is another story). He brings me every little thing he finds around the house - and I found out he stashes them in his crate! Here Ted proudly poses with things he brought me over the course of a few days while I worked at the computer. I took each one and added it to a pile, then took this picture. Yes, his early tracking experiences made him a bit of a toy freak - ANY toy, even a piece of string!
He was so excited to track that it became impossible to harness him! My friend (Julie with the famous Austen in the post below) took these blackmail shots to show people how tracking instructors harness their dogs. Ha Ha Ha.
Enter Steve White's HITT. Today I tried playing around - not really knowing what I am doing. I pick up my DVD tomorrow in Calgary. However, I have seen some of the great videos sent to a tracking list by people who took his seminar (which I unfortunately missed) in Edmonton. I love to learn new things - in fact this is one of the great things about tracking!

To see one video, click here (this is publicly posted)

This is my little serpentine. You can see my Element TWOLVES in the background. My licence is TWOLVES for Two Wolves, though some say it could mean two loves - tracking and herding!
Now, check out Ted! I knew he was doing well - and just let him go on a loose line while I got out of his way and clicked. But seeing this picture really has me pumped! I did not use an article at all, since that is Ted's downfall (and a blessing too - as his indications are great! TOO great!) He looks like a Schutzhund Dog!

Right on

Very cool
Coolio (no, that is not an official tracking term)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was Ted's best track ever! There was a big jackpot of treats at the end...as in Schutzhund tracking (no article).

I think this will be great for Ted and plan to re-start him with this method. He is so eager to please and such a smart boy, but lost it somewhere along the way with his article / toy obsession! I created it when I did his article indication training and boy, did it take with Ted!
Stay tuned!


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.