The Streets of San Francisco

I just got back this week from a week's vacation in San Francisco where I attended a HayHouse Writer's Conference. I went a few days early to play tourist, and I am so glad I did. What a beautiful city. I believe I like it more than I like Boston, which I always believed was my favourite American city. San Francisco is such a walking town, with ocean on three sides. The nature, with the coast, the redwood trees, the flowers and the landscaped mansions, was very captivating. I walked around 6-7 hours a day, visiting Fishermen's Wharf, Chinatown, North Beach, Lombard Street, Pacific Heights, Haight & Ashbury and Golden Gate Park. I did this ALL by foot! The writer's conference started Friday and went until Sunday. I have had a very tough time getting back to reality here this week, feeling like I am still in California. If I was able to pick a place to live, San Francisco would be very high on my list. I loved everything about it. It felt like home!

Here are a selection of photos from the hundreds I took...

The Marina, two blocks from my hotel
Turning around, Golden Gate Bridge is in the background...
Alcatraz Island. It looks so close, but apparently the water is very cold and the straight has a stiff current. I don't know, I've seen Ironman competitions and think I know a few guys who could swim that!
The famous seals at Pier 39, Fishermen's Wharf
A Pagoda statue and the beautiful redwood trees of Golden Gate Park in the background
A Buddha statue at the Japanese Tea Gardens, Golden Gate Park
Buddha Bar, Chinatown
Very dog friendly city - here is a dog walker up in Pacific Heights
I walked up Devisadero Street from my hotel, which is way down there by the ocean. It was a steep climb! Some sidewalks have stairs and in some places, cars are not allowed to park...
Here is the public pathway leading to Fishermen's Wharf. Above this statue is the Gamefield and hostel. That man was doing tai chi, early in the morning, and I caught a photo...
I had to go to Haight Ashbury, home of the hippies. It was interesting but a bit sad, as the old hippies still hanging out there look like poor homeless people. I bought a tie-died shirt and a peace poster, of course!
Here is a fisher at the Municipal Pier near Fishermen's Wharf showing me his Dungeness Crab. The seals were eating the chicken from his nets, and when I stood there, I could see the seals swimming around in the water!
I brought a purple hippy chick dress which I wore on day one of the writer's conference. I got some freshwater pearls with amethyst that matched my bracelet and earrings - handmade by my friend Linda, so took this photo for her, and really like it!
The thing is that this dress is now too big on me, and half way through the day, I had to change, and it was a great excuse to join a group of girls and shop at Macy's that night, near Union Square!

Back to dog training shortly...


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.