Nose Hill Calgary


Yesterday I spent the day in Calgary poking around and met a friend for lunch near the University. I went to check out Nose Hill Park, which is the largest Municipal Park in Canada. It is the highest point in Calgary and very bare of trees except for scrub. There are walking paths and cycling paths and it was full of people and dogs. I took the gang out for separate walks to check it out. I'd like to go back and get to the plateau at the top to get some photos of the view. I didn't get the mountains in the background in this shot of Cade and Jet. But they were as spectacular as ever. And hard to believe they are still snow-covered while it was HOT in Calgary yesterday.
Somehow, I didn't get a picture of Ted! He was out with River (my usual pairing is River and Ted, Caden and Jet - by personality, not breed).

Some people practice tracking here. People tend to stick to pathways, and it is wild grass and scrub. It would be great for TDX practice with the paths and crosstracks, and varied terrain. I did check out the U of C for tracking (was there for hours). It is a very busy campus with lots of buildings and sidewalks and nooks and crannies. I really need to go back on a day that is not so hot, because I didn't take my trailer and so chose not to park in one of the paylots, as I couldn't leave the dogs. I LOVE my trailer for that reason! But it is a tough thing to bring into town and try to park with in a pay lot.

PS the link above to Nose Hill Park is really interesting, especially if you are a history buff like me. My FUR TRADE HERO David Thompson wintered right near here and wrote in his journal about it, and it was a wintering area for bison herds. There are apparently circles of stone that are reminders of tipi circles. Wow, like an Aboriginal Stonehenge. I'd like to come back with one dog and just walk the area. It is huge. I was in the Many Owls Valley off John Laurie Drive.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.