Take him home - Training lingo

Today at Schutzhund, Caden did obedience, then protection in that order. He is learning to launch up at the target which is this Gappay wedge pillow. Then, I practice telling him OUT and he learns that if he outs it, he gets to play again. After all that hard work in today's heat, I let him lie in the shade and possess it for awhile. Doesn't he look proud? I love when the dogs run back to their cars with these - they just swagger! In "Schutzhund-speak" it is called "taking them home." When he has done a good one, Wade our club's head trainer will say 'take him home.'

I remember the first time I heard that term. It was at the Wallace Payne Schutzhund seminar in 2008. I was only there for the tracking, but Wallace asked me to show him a bit of what Caden knew. Caden was 6 months old. I got out some treats and had him sit, come, lie down. Wallace watched and then said 'take him home.' I thought he meant - get out of here! I stood there sort of stunned, wondering what to say, and he realized I was new to the sport - so he said 'take him to the CAR.' What a relief! I still smile about that.


Caden wonders if they might need him a bit more...wishful thinking!


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.