Try winter tracking!

It is supposed to be warm here this weekend. I love winter tracking! I actually started both Jet and Caden in the winter because they were the right age to start when snow was on the ground. For all posts tagged 'winter tracking' click on the above photo...

On a warm sunny afternoon, the scent conditions can be quite nice and you will never have a better visual as a tracker than to see where you walked. It is great for building handling skills and confidence which is why I also love to start beginner classes in the winter. By the time the snow is melting, people are ready for a more "blind" track - one they lay themselves but can't see. Above, this Corgi confidently finds his own track amidst many crosstracks on a University soccer field. In the summer, you know they are there, but you don't see them like this. It is a great way to see just how amazing our dogs are! And this dog was a very green tracking dog, as was his owner. As an instructor, I see people get 'hooked' on tracking when they actually get this kind of visual - it simultaneously removes the mytery of tracking, and adds excitement and awe.

A few tips: Make a good scent pad. Cold air and snow don't hold scent as well. I often put my hat or mitts, and articles at my feet to imprint more scent at the start. We also played around with start articles in winter classes. Next - watch for snow plows which will "move" your track over. In one class, when a plow churned up a track, we watched a very brilliant Duck Toller track the snow moved onto the edge of the lot until he hooked onto the next leg. This was an exception though and you may have to help your dog, or abort the track. If your scent pad is plowed up, don't make a new one as it won't match the track. Just point to the next leg or use a start article if you wish.

When handling a dog on a corner, it is so nice to see your footsteps and just go with your dog in a smooth movement. This builds a lot of confidence in he dog as well. Unless you mark your corners, tension at a corner on the part of the handler can be transmitted to the dog. Sometimes people hesitate because they are not sure which way the new leg goes. My biggest pet peeve is when people stop and expect a strong pull at the corner. This is actually teaching your dog different behaviour other than to confidently take a turn and keep moving.
Above, Phoebe the Beagle trucks along very confidently in the snow in my 2007 winter class.

I've seen people accidentally teach a perfectly nice tracking dog into a dog that casts in wide circles by not simply going with the dog. Some dogs will naturally check before committing, but generally their first indication is usually correct. If you can just go with them it will lead to a nicer overall picture. That is why the snow helps. Above, Caden overstepped his turn by one step, then corrected to the track. What a great visual for me - on the grass one might never see such a subtlety.

Do dogs just follow your footsteps? Well, I hope so! They should do the same on grass, soil or on a hard surface. Why not give them something motivating. Sure, some dogs will be visually-oriented.
Above, on this track I varied the surface from footsteps in the snow to hard surface and back.

Vary your track by going from snow to a packed surface or a parking lot, or the leeway of a building. You can think of a footstep as a mug of coffee. As you break through layers of snow, you release bacteria held by falling snow. This creates a scent signature that your dog should investigate. They may be sniffing it and not "cheating." You may also be surprised to see your dog take off after scent that blows and spreads across the snow surface. This is when you can watch and learn, hold your ground, and if necessary step in to help by redirecting to the next footstep. After a leg going down a sandy sidewalk, River makes a turn from the sidewalk onto snow...you can see my track ahead! But she is using her nose. In the photo below, she started to follow the wrong set of footsteps, and she self-corrected to the right ones on her own. This was a track I did in January 2009 at Red Deer College.
I originally taught my River to track faithfully in the field. When I did not know as much about the urban environment, I let her search, cast, fringe and parallel the track and still followed her. I have spent the past season re-training this behaviour (which I describe in posts from last August and September). At her age, she has shown me that even an old dog can learn new tricks (meaning me, haha). I am eager to get out in the snow and see how we do together. I know she will find it fun and we enjoy our time together...tracking is very bonding.
Tracking in the winter is bonding for people too! This picture (above) was taken by Karen Boyes, of my very first winter tracking class in 2005. Karen called this photo "RWECRAZY?" It was miserable and wonderful. The dogs were amazing! AND, FOUR OF THE DOGS IN THAT CLASS ARE NOW CKC TRACKING CHAMPIONS - Karen's two Aussies Jasper and Penny, Julie's Cavalier Austen and Sandra's Golden Leisha. We are so proud - four of Canada's 13 TCH's are from Thunder Bay!
I happened to catch this photo of Karen and Penny on one of their very FIRST fun snow tracks. Karen deliberately made a left turn from the path she was following to see what Penny would do. As you can see, Penny showed us that day that she had the makings of a TCH. Penny just turned seven last week - Happy Birthday to one of my favourite dogs ever!

I like to think these classes helped a bit! And I am sure he fun we had out as a community working together in the snow helped add fun to things for people and dogs. I remember getting home after each class completely soaked and feeling great.

My favourite tracking saying about handling comes from AKC judge W. Orrin Eldred III of Michigan. He says if your dog is having trouble on the track you need to go in the house and go to the bathroom. Turn on the light, and look at the mirror. There's your problem! He and his wife, judge Susan Eldred, wrote a great booklet called Fascinating Scent. He also notes often that all tracks are blind tracks for your dog! We know where they go when we la them but the dog is working on a new track. We are challenged to diminish our cues as handlers, so the dog is allowed to work and make decisions. Of course, we can follow them if they are off track, or we can correct.
My Border Collie Ted makes a transition from snow to a very wet parking lot.

In early stages, I "help" my dog, gently and without taking away the dog's belief in its own ability - always a trick. As my dog gets more proficient, I allow some leeway to learn what my dog is doing and learn to read my dog's body language. You can see this in Caden's track las November (see video), where I let him overshoot his turn and am delighted to see him lift his head and then back up and circle to find the turn.
Above, Harley the Cocker in my 2008 winter class. He towed his owner Peggy to a pass on his first try for a TD!

With an advanced dog, I try to find the balance between stepping in and simply following. With River, I have followed her as if I have no clue where the track goes, and always learn something from her behaviour. She finds her way back, and keeps going, which amazes me. When I lay my own track, I am able to say 'good girl' when she is back on track. Of course, in a real test there is the danger of pushing your dog too far off track, or of missing an article. There is also a waste of energy on the dog's part especially in urban tracking where dogs dehydrate more easily and expend more effort to follow the scent.
Above, Katie Jaremey with baby Golden Henley learning to track in the winter. Henley was doing a demo track here for my winter class in 2008. He earned his TD on his first try that spring doing one of the fastest tracks I have ever seen (we nearly missed it!)

This is another reason why I love winter tracking. It is obviously cooler and more moist. Don't be fooled by it though - a dog still needs water from you - snow cools them down, and snow, once melted, does not produce a lot of water. Be sure to carry it with you anyway.

Always play it safe. Don't go somewhere remote without telling someone your plans. Dress for the weather (layers), have your cell with you, and observe yourself and your dog for signs of discomfort. There is always another day for tracking, if it is smarter to pack it in.
Jet started tracking when she was 12 weeks old in the snow. The pictures on the left are her first tracks - 3 straight lines in a parking lot, with food in the footsteps. By the third one, she was already pulling ahead. On the right are pictures of Jet's successful TD in 2007 on her first attempt - the only pass of the morning in gusting winds!

Watch for salt and chemicals on roads and lots though. You can put booties or a pad softener on your dog to protect their feet if necessary.

Lastly as always, have fun!


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.