4 Dogs - 4 Serpentines - One Surprise Star!

Training four dogs at the same time is very time consuming! I actually procrastinated until about 7:30 before I FORCED myself to go out. Tonight is night one of re-training everyone on their starts and scent pads, working on more nose-down tracking (see the post from last week about the tracking seminar for details). Since it is a new routine I was not sure how the evening would pan out. Such is tracking - one never knows what is in store!


So WHO was the tracking star tonight?







(scroll down)












Do you recognize this upside-down grinning fool?

It was TED! AGAIN! I wondered when I might use this picture. Ted was on the couch being silly - he lifts his lips and grins with his teeth showing. Since I didn't take pictures tonight, you get treated with these silly shots.

The last time I tried something new was earlier in the summer when I sprayed a hard-surface track HITT-style. Ted was the star that day too (photo below).

I have often said Ted is not the best tracking dog I have had. He loves to find articles, and takes short cuts to get to them. I have a few theories about Ted's recent brilliance...which do you think sounds right?

1. I am learning new things here that make me a better trainer

2. These new methods are giving Ted more clarity

3. Ted has the least amount of training, so the new methods work right away with him

I think all of these have merit. One thing I love about tracking is how you can always improve and learn new things - and each new dog is a new training challenge.

I made a scent pad and a single arch for Ted, not wanting to stretch him. I could hear him sniffing deep into the scent pad, and on a loose lead, he calmly worked his way along the arch to the end. He went off once at the bend of the arch, and I simply let him come back on his own.

Before Ted, I did Caden first, on the same shape track - scent pad and one arch. Caden started out well, but he tried repeatedly to rush ahead. I switched to small pieces of kibble with him tonight. Since he didn't have the focus I would like to see - he had a half-ration of dinner tonight. Maybe if he is a bit hungrier tomorrow, he will eat more kibble on track! He has a ton of drive, but I need to shape it into the right behaviour. I know I left him wanting more, since his track was so short - plus he watched everyone else work after him. He will be raring to go and hopefully try harder tomorrow - or I will pull him off the track after showing him what a good treat he missed! River and Ted playing at 'Three Mile Bend' dog park on the Red Deer River

River did suprisingly well considering her ingrained habits. She likes to take off at the start. I brought her to the scent pad and she pulled really hard to go. I had her on a leash and simply held her back. She pulled so hard she actually laid herself down. Once down, she realized there was food on the scent pad and she ate it while lying down. She then did her single arch quite nicely. I used dried liver for her, as she needs a bit more coaxing to get her nose down, having been allowed to work with her nose up and cast for the past five years. I plan to take my time to change her behaviour as much as I can, keeping it positive for her.
Jet and Caden show off with toys. This is what it looks like when I try to watch TV. Since I have no tracking photos from tonight, you have to look at these silly pictures!
Little Jet was the BRAT of the evening. Which figures, as she is giving a tracking demo at the Border Collie Nationals in a week and a half. She started off nicely. At the bend in the arch, she stepped off and tried to stare at me in protest. She did not like this footstep thing. She wanted to GO. I did as I was told at the seminar and WAITED HER OUT. She tried to jump on me, stare at me, and then she stared away for a long 3-4 minutes. When nothing worked, she got bored, put her nose down and found a piece of food. I said "good girl" and took a step forward. She buckled down and did the rest of the track really well. I like this method.
Portrait of Jet (she likes this one and insisted I use it)

So I learned...

- I will invest more time in Teddy

- Caden needs to be hungry, and to learn to work through distractions. Serpentines will teach him not to pull ahead - and his arch was not big enough. It didn't help him that River was barking. However, a hungrier boy and maybe some more compelling treats to start will be the next step.

- River will lie down at the start! I have always thought she didn't like it, but after doing it on her own, it was a positive

- Jet is an excellent tracker (I have always thought so) but as with everything, she likes to do it her way. Once she learns this new method and takes control back, she will be great. I have a lot of faith in her!

Here on the couch she demonstrates her famous article indication, with her little chin on the toy...

And yes, that yellow Giggle ball is ALWAYS in Caden's mouth


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.