Canadian Stockdog finals, Caden's tracking debut, and progress

I attended the Double Lift Finals in Okotoks AB yesterday. As a member of the Alberta Stockdog Association, I was volunteered to put on a tracking demo for the public. About 8 or 10 people came for it, and it went very well! Ted did a demo of a scent pad and serpentine. He is such an honest dog, he just went to work, despite the fact that there were sheep nearby!

Next, I was going to do a 'chimney - shaped track' with Jet. I had laid it, and had stakes before each corner so people could watch at the turns. But Jet's mind was on sheep. She would track a few steps, then lift her head and stare towards the Open field. I am sure she could hear the whistles. The crowd understood that she was conflicted, so I put her away and brought out Caden.

Below is a picture of Peter Gonnet, about to send Jill on her big outrun. Penny Numbers, ASDA Secretary and intrepid reporter is taking shots with her nice big lens. I am positive Jet heard the whistles and could not concentrate on tracking. I can forgive her for that! She is a stockdog FIRST.
Caden did an awesome job of the demo, and people commented how his tail does not stop. I was very proud of him. I have no photos from the demo, but tonight Cassandra Beach came out to tracking. She is a dog trainer with a Certified Master Trainer designation, earned at Salmon Arm BC. I aso met her lovely dog Maverick who did a great job on his track. She took pictures of Caden. It is so nice to have one of him from the side, since I always get the top view. Cassandra and Maverick are pictured below (I took it with her camera!) Caden did a nice job tonight, but I need to restrain him more - as he is not finding a lot of his food and is not advanced enough to be skipping it this way. It takes a lot of work to hold him at a steady pace, but I am just thrilled with his progress and thankful for the watchful eye of Dan the Man, Dan Waters, our official tracking guru.
Above is a photo of Dan with Bronte. She is such a nice dog.
This was taken with my Blackberry because my camera battery died yesterday! It is a group shot of the CBCA winners. Canadian Champion is Dennis Gellings of Dawson Creek BC with his dog Jan. Runner up is Peter Gonnet of Saskatchewan with Jill. Scott Glen won Canadian Nursery Champion. The complete results are found on the links in the post below. It was thrilling to see the great runs, on a difficult course with tough sheep.


PS Don't forget to check the Kleinen Wiese puppy blog - the pups (Caden's nieces and nephews) are ready to go!! Great working dogs for active people, but also, lovely companions in the home. Read about the pups that are left (4 left, from 9, but I think two more might be spoken for...) - http://www.kleinenwiese.com/Blog/


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.