Passing on the Collar

After spending the weekend camping with Caden, I realized he has reached a point where he can appreciate a few things that are in his inheritance from Thorn. Thorn was my beautiful boy who died from Cancer on Christmas Day, 2007 (see posts from then by going to the sidebar menu, or check out May of that year for his 10th birthday tribute).

Most importantly, Caden inherits Thorn's very special 'buddy man' collar. I found this collar for Thorn when he was just a wee pup, on a trip to Duluth Minnesota. I love the multicoloured bands. It has held up so well over many years of travels, walks and swimming! Since Thorn died, I have held onto it, knowing it would be passed on, just like River wears my old girl Robin's collar. I put this collar on Caden tonight, and although I didn't cry, I did feel a rush of emotion to see it on him. Caden has that smiling, bright personality that Thorn had, though admittedly Thorn was a bit more quiet! Both are very kind-hearted boys, and I feel Caden is stepping up as he matures to be a great friend.
Next, Caden inherits Thorn's favourite toy, his big white ball. This ball is made by Judy Morrill of The Dog House in Thunder Bay. It is about the third or fourth in a series of big white balls Thorn adored. Thorn really did feel pride in ownership of this ball. It moved with me, and has finally come down off a shelf in the basement, where it was a bit sad and lonely. The ball needed a dog to love it, too.
This is Thorn in November, 2006 with the same ball (though much newer) as Caden has above. I think I may have to contact Judy for yet another one! Caden and Thorn have the same wolfy grin.
And from River, Caden has learned to run with the toy to the cookie jar. THAT is something Thorn started, but all of the dogs agree it is a great tradition! As soon as I clicked the camera to take the photo of Caden on the couch, he leaped off and ran to the cookies with the ball in his mouth!

Caden as a 3 month old baby with the SAME ball! He has finally grown into it. It is very interesting how inanimate objects like a collar and ball actually have high positive vibrations and such good energy. That is what Thorn has passed on to us all.


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.