Secretariat

From the newspaper The Examiner


Tonight I decided to watch Secretariat. I nearly went to see it at the theatre, but if the truth be told, I was afraid to go see it, because I knew I would be an emotional mess, and sure enough, I have been crying through the entire movie.

When I was in grade school, I was horse crazy like any young girl. We had a public speaking competition and my topic was the Triple Crown. I used little recipe cards to hold in my hand for that speech, which was three minutes long. I still have them in my old jewelry box. I owned every Black Stallion and Misty novel, plus books about race horses - some of which I just gave to my niece Rachel for Christmas, as she has inherited the 'horse crazy' gene.

My dream was to have a horse, but sadly, I am allergic to horses! I have never been able to ride them or be near one without plugging right up. Tonight I am congested from crying. I love any good animal story - but this story seems to be a bit about my life.


Winning the Belmont, Champion Gallery .com



I remember going to Florida with my parents and sister, and as part of a side trip, we actually drove to the farm where Secretariat lived - he was still alive at that time in the 70s. My parents were so good to us - taking us on trips like this. On that same trip, we went to Graceland, home of Elvis in Memphis. So tonight - I've been crying with memories of those days when I thought trips like that, and days spent with my family would go on forever. It's a hazard of youth, to have such optimism - thank heavens - or we may not carry on into our adult years!

I remember watching each race Secretariat ran, cheering as he won each one. I memorized his pedigee as if I would some day be breeding thoroughbreds. In later years, I even considered naming some of my dogs after the names on his pedigree. I didn't have the litters, and never became a breeder - and tonight I cried about that too, remembering my pretty Kate and wishing she had at least one litter.

All my life I have loved watching the Triple Crown. I still cheer on each horse and cry at the end. And tonight I am cheering even though I know how this story ends. And I guess I am crying because it is not the kind of movie to watch alone. It's a movie to share, and very hard to think about how my life has gone so that I am sitting here typing on a blog instead of talking with someone about what a wonderful show it is - what a great horse he was, and how thankful I am to have lived through the experience.

What a strange thing, to have a movie move me in so many unexpected ways. Thank you Secretariat for many good memories. You were an awesome horse. I hope that I can live up to your spirit by doing the best for the awesome dogs I own, in a small way, in my small life.

This movie is a great reminder to stay the course and have faith. Inside tonight I feel like that young girl, so hopeful about life, reading my little speech, and I am reaching inside to find that optimism again.


Alonso Studio portrait



Secretariat - he lacks fear. A GREAT horse.

PS I won my speaking contest in grade 7 and it is one of my fondest memories!


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.