August and everything after

That is the name of my favourite album by Counting Crows. Since I've been on about music a lot lately. This week marks two years since I made the big move to Alberta. So the phrase August and everything after has special meaning to me. That, and August has always been my favourite month. Below is the last photo of my car at my home in Thunder Bay, followed by a few shots of my car (and me and the dogs) in our new home here.

It was so hard to leave my home, especially to say goodbye to the roses and trees, barn and field and things with so much emotional connection -  but since moving here I have made so MANY good friends, and that is what makes a place a home. It heals that hurt in your heart day by day.

Some people think I was really brave to move, but in reality I was just really scared to stay because of the things going on in my life. Moving was easier in so many ways, and now mostly thanks to good friends who've taken me in, I have this great extended family here, and Alberta is my home.

That is how I felt when I arrived. Big Alberta, small me.


Beautiful horses, everywhere...including some of Canada's last wild horses

And the mountains, unchanging guardians of the west, and yes, I took this photo! Awe-inspiring, Rocky Mountain High.


This morning I heard geese honking as they flew over, on their way south. That seems a bit early to me. But geese know what their doing, and they operate on seasons and cycles. Much like we do if we are into tracking. And in life! Here is a poem that a friend shared with me that seems fitting to include here today.


Comes the Dawn


After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security,

And you begin to understand that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises.

And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head held high and your eyes open,

With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.
You learn to build your roads

On today because tomorrow's ground
Is too uncertain for plans, and futures have

A way of falling down in midflight.
After a while you learn that even sunshine

Burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate

Your own soul, instead of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you can really endure,
That you really are strong

And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn ... and you learn

With every goodbye you learn.



Veronica Shorffstall, 1971


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.