Van Morrison in Calgary - Sublime Perfection!

Van performed in Calgary on August 5 to an intimate crowd of 2500. It was absolute perfection. Above, I am pretty excited before the show! I bought some new tshirts.

I took this as they tore apart the stage, after the concert. You can see we had a good view!

AND HERE IS MY FULL REVIEW OF THIS MAGNIFICENT EVENING...
sent to the Van Morrison "chat list" of which I have been a member for over 10 years now!
Van Night Two
Ramblings of a Long-time fan, but Concert Newbie
Transcript of my notes

*After trying to figure out what to say, I thought I would simply transcribe the notes I put in my little journal during the concert...The Calgary show was only my third ever live Van performance, and I could not be happier - thanks Sean for prompting me to pick up a ticket! Donna

NIGHT TWO - Calgary
My mad scribblings in the dark during the concert…with apologies for any errors

NORTHERN MUSE – violin, incredible, Van on piano
BROWN EYED GIRL
THE MYSTERY – piano, beautiful
FAIRPLAY– last night I was scribbling the words to Fairplay for my friend to read, as he is a song writer and I knew he would appreciate them. Again tonight, a band showcase, ala Charlie Brown jazz.
KEEP IT SIMPLE – much better than last night. Nodding his head and into it. I got into it too!
TALK IS CHEAP – also better – amazing violin – it evoked the sound of a harmonica, this guy is so talented
Just as I worry it will be the same line up, I hear familiar strains of…

PHILOSOPHER’S STONE!!!

Awesome. At this moment, I am completely taken away. Daddy-o, Daddy-o.
Violin. Gesturing for solos, sax, guitar.
Van’s obvious respect for his musicians.
The crowd is spellbound during this song.
Where do you go from here? I have chills. I hug myself.
MOONDANCE

Great horns, Van seems more engaged to me. This really is a musician’s song. Van’s sax is excellent!

ALL IN THE GAME!!!!

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT. THIS HAS LONG BEEN ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS. NOW I KNOW WHERE IT CAN GO… Van is scatting. OMG. Scatting.
Van made a joke as he was knocking on the mic and snapping his fingertips – he looked at the audience and said “Get that, right?” and people laugh and clap. [note afterwards, the assinine reviewers didn’t get that]
You Know What I’m Talking About. When you really get IN. It lifts you right UP.
At this moment, I know I can die happy. Totally amazing.
Standing ovation.

ROUGH GOD

I ask myself, who could NOT be a Van Morrison fan after tonight? Violin on Rough God is stunning. Two young guys beside me comment to each other that this was not what they expected. I smile.
Van looks so small for such a big voice.
When he mentions Jesse James, Wild Bill Hickock and Clint Eastwood – he gets applause, and he tips his hat, saying “Good morning ma’am. What a nice day.” [note, so funny, well appreciated by the audience, missed by the reviewers, aargh]

CELTIC EXCAVATION – INTO THE MYSTIC

He is so ON. Guys beside me say again they never thought he would be this GOOD. I think, of course, my friends are not here tonight for this one. Cheers from the audience for the horns during Into the Mystic.
I feel a stupid sense of pride now. I want to yell at everyone ‘YES, THIS IS VAN MORRISON! HE IS THE BEST YOU PEOPLE WILL EVER SEE!”

AND THE HEALING HAS BEGUN
I worry it will seem anti-climactic after All in the Game, which strikes me as funny.
It is 9:05. My heart pounds, I don’t want this to end.
I can’t sit still. I don’t want this to end.
A much better piano tonight, better sound.
Magical.
Van can use a whisper and soft voice at this venue. He says to the band “long notes here.” He directs them as they bring it down, then up to a crescendo, he sings Digadigadigadig and the crowd cheers. “That’s where I came from, man,” he says to the crowd. I sit stunned. This song is so different from last night, it is a journey.
Digadigadig – quiet violin – the music is throbbing and pulsating. I can hardly stand it.
SILENCE in the crowd. Suddenly he turns and directs a big finish waving both arms.
I turn to the two young guys, I can’t contain myself. I say “And that is what it is all about!” We share a laugh (or maybe I am scaring them)

IN THE GARDEN

Take 2. Last night in Edmonton it was given the short straw in my books. Tonight, I am crying. I want to sing No Guru, No Method, No Teacher. I restrain myself. I can’t find my voice anyway. This is how it should have sounded last night. I feel like I am part of the Oneness during this song. Just being in the moment. I am rediscovering my love for this poetic wizard, this amazing man. How is it that someone like this can be sharing the same earth and air as the rest of us? I weep with gladness and thanks.

He sings ‘Your holy guardian angel’ in the garden. When he sings “Take my hand” over and over, he holds his right hand up and out, gesturing for us to pray and join with him in the garden. He holds that hand out, singing it over and over. I want to take his hand. “Take my hand and pray,” he sings. Can you feel it? He asks. Yes, I can feel it.

He is rocking from one leg to the other. The audience is mesmerized – again! I think to myself – yes, you be stunned people. Be stunned.

HELP ME

I am now thinking I must sell my house to follow Van around.
Awesome plunking on the violin, tres cool technique. Van on harp just rocking it. Someone yells Van, I love you!
Van is so into this song. I don’t want it to end.
I think to myself, I can’t wait to email Art!
Huge cheers for Help Me.

As I feared, GLORIA starts. As people continue to cheer, all I can think is F#@! I hate this song if it means it is the end. I can’t cheer. I stand frozen thinking NOOOOOOOOO.
I think he just looked right up at me J
I can’t help it, I sing along. There is a great light show for this song. He is growling and dragging it out tonight.
There is a big finish, Van says ‘big hand for the band!’ and swaggers off stage. He knows it has been one of those concerts. How can he not. The band waves. They know too.

I am standing and digging out my iPhone, to email Art Seigel, one of the list's moderators.
I email: OMG I can die happy. I need to quit my job and sell my house to follow Van. I believe I have been transcended.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.