Caden's Best Obedience Ever tonight!

Caden paying attention to me (Fuss)

Tonight I met with Dan with is dogs (Ali, Bronte, Cilla), Pam and Sting and Michelle and Ash to work dogs indoors. As you may recall, I have been working all of the dogs using this fantastic method Elvin Kopp showed me, to have them work at finding the right position, and stay in more of a neutral mind until working. It's a Border Collie thing, but I thought I could use it with Caden too. So, I've been walking him around Penhold with this line, reprimanding him with a growly tone if he forges, then rewarding him verbally when he corrects himself so we can keep walking.


With Ivan Balabanov last July

Tonight at first, Caden was so excited that I was a bit down, thinking it was not going to pan out in a real life situation. However, he calmed down (and I corrected him for his bad over the top behaviour) and suddenly, his mind kicked in and he began to show everyone that he really CAN Fuss (heel, "fooos" means attention in German and is the German command).

Here is a video of Ivan Balabanov showing the end results of his method of training. Ivan really helped me last summer. We are 'friends' on Facebook now, and he recently told me that Caden and I are an awesome team :) I know he is being nice, because we really needed lots of help last summer, but he was very complimentary about Caden for sure, saying that I had a very nice dog. It's up to me to become the kind of handler to bring out the best in Caden.



I was so happy with tonight's obedience! But that was one night. We need to make it consistent.

I've worked hard for this kind of attention from Caden with distractions. We did figure 8s, recalls, down stays, stand stays and loads of heeling with other dogs very close by. It was a huge relief that he would do it in a new place this way, and I think that my friend Dan was going to leap for joy to see that Caden was doing it! We KNOW he can, but it is a matter of getting him to do it everywhere, every time.

Good boy! Awesome job! And, I pat me on the back too. A lot of this is about changing ME and commanding respect from my boy, so we can enjoy this together as a team.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.