Jet and Caden work on 'Neutral Mind' with distractions

On the night before the night before Christmas, the die-hards were out training! I continue to work on having my dogs focus with distractions. First Caden (and actually, Caden came in twice, with a break in-between to cool off). Also, Jet and Ted, as they need this too.

Caden, SchH work

Caden and me. His obedience is really coming along and I actually can see a BH and a SchH 1 in 2011. Our biggest problems are 1) my ability to be a strong leader, 2) his drive and excitement levels are very, very high and 3) ability to focus when other dogs are working. I think we have a handle on all three.
By the way, #2 is not really a problem, it is a gift and mine to manage well.

Caden Fuss! That is German and the SchH command for attention. When we walk, the dog walks at our side smartly, sitting when we stop and always looking up at us with attention.


Caden Platz! SchH command for lie down. In SchH you don't add 'stay' you just stay Platz and keep walking. There is not even a pause, and your dog must drop on the spot and stay there. I am just loving that he is lying there while two other dogs were working around him. He also must lie in a sphinx position, not settle onto one side or get lazy - and he must watch me, faithfully waiting for the next command. SchH tests the dog's willingness and ability to work in a demanding environment, and it's loyalty to the handler, always on the ready.

Since Caden comes from herding lines, I sort of expect him to have the genetics to do this, as herding dogs work in the presence of livestock and still must have a stop, a down and a recall.

In SchH a dog will do a down stay as part of its routine, and as an honour on the side while another dog is working its obedience routine, and lastly on the go-back where it runs full speed down the length of the trial field and then, is commanded to platz! It is a very emotional moment and always gets a lot of applause as it is the last exercise.

Caden Sitz! SchH sit command is given as you walk at a brisk pace. It is called a Sit out of Motion and the dog must plant its butt and not move until you return, watching you steadily the whole time. Recalls are not given from a sit, ever. Recalls only come from a down or stand (called a Stay). And rewards for these commands are always given by tossing in the opposite direction to 'come' so that the dog never anticipates it will be rewarded by coming to you, thereby not shifting its position forward, ever.

The footing for the sit is fun. Right now I say SIT! and I kind of keep jogging on the spot then pretend to be running forward but in slow motion, giving him a chance to get used to my motion beside him while he sits. Sometimes I just say SIT! and whirl to give him a reward as soon as he sits, because it has to be instant, fast and accurate for full points.

PS It was about at this time Dan told me to put my iPhone away and concentrate on training (blush)
 
Pam and Sting, Dan and Ali, SchH 

Dan Waters works with Pam and Sting on obedience. Pam has trained and competed with cutting horses. She's also had working GSDs before. So her training is so consistent and methodical. Sting is only a year old and his obedience is awesome. Dan is so generous with his time, helping all of us. There was another dog there, and in the New Year, we'll have a few more friends join us. It's not 'a class' - we just work together in this great space we found through friends. It's actually a doggy daycare that just opened.



This is Dan with Ali, who has been #5 and #6 in Canada in the past two years. He is always keeping her tuned up and she is a very intense but happy dog, totally devoted to Dan. When Caden was a year old, I found Dan in Red Deer and begged for help, LOLOL. He was a good boy but I had moved across the country and had not had the time to invest in foundation training. My NEXT GSD will be trained the way Pam and Dan trained their pups. However, Caden *(handicapped by me) is now really doing amazingly well, thanks to help from my club, Dan, and great clinicians. Working with someone of Dan's caliber and seeing his dogs also gives you something to strive for.
Jet working on focus and 'neutral mind' 

Jet did not escape working. Ted also worked but I have no photos of him this week. I worked on Jet's 'neutral state of mind' as recommended by Elvin Kopp. In the new place, around different dogs, she had to walk by my side, down and stand. She actually was just amazing. I can hardly wait to bring her back to a sheep field and see how this neutral state of mind will carry over in the presence of stock.

She is such a hot little dog, it is important for her to be in control of her own actions and emotions when she works sheep. Elvin thinks this will go a long way to fixing her outruns for starters - having her in a calm state of mind at the post on the trial field. I actually have tried to use this idea with Caden as well because a neutral state of mind (capping drive) is important for him on the SchH field too.


Jet walked beside or behind me on a loose long line, focusing on me and not trying to sniff, visit or forge ahead. She is so hilarious as she glares at me, and walks like a little mechanical doll, all stiff legged. I can't say how much I adore this dog. She is brilliant and as much of a gift to me as Caden is as a GSD. I really hope we can trial in 2011. She could probably also get a SchH BH and TR 1 (tracking) if I put some work into that. She'd probably LOVE the bitework too, but we don't want to encourage that in Jet, hahahahahaha. (that is my insane laugh)

I have some video of Jet that I am going to try to upload from my iPhone so you can enjoy her hilarious little march as we walk about. I laugh, but it is so awesome how hard she is trying.


We also socialize on training night! Here is Jet with her new found friend Dixie, Pam's little dog. SchH people have 'little dogs too' - not just stockdog people! Dixie and Jet are like soulmates with similar personalities. And they both think they are big dogs.

Dixie and Jet might get to travel together when Pam and I go to Vancouver Island in the New Year! (don't tell the other dogs though, OK?)
No pics of River or Ted, but trust me, they were in too. River mostly visited and demanded treats!



Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.