Christmas Tracking, Winter Plans, 2011 goals

This is the time of year I think about 2011 goals. I have never been a "New Year Resolution" believer, but I do like to assess where I'm at so I can start planning my training. When you have four dogs on the go, it is really important to stay organized. Plus, this year will be a bit different because I am fitting some new goals in - FOR ME! Of all things. I've noted the goals for my dogs in the photo captions. It will be a busy year!


River checks out the track on a snowy parking lot last winter

It is so dark at this time of year! I am looking forward to the time off during Christmas and New Year and hoping for decent weather so we can all get out and track. I have a few friends here now who are interested in tracking, and I think I am warping them because they also want to get out and track during the holidays!
Caden and I last January. That jacket is like a tent on me now, by the bye.

Caden on track at Olds College - Caden is TD ready, but I am aiming for SchH titles with him first, then plan to get his CKC titles after he has a BH and SchH 1, as we need to focus on SchH style tracking. This winter, we are focusing on obedience but will keep up our footstep tracking in the snow.

I love getting out on warm snowy days. In fact, sometimes it is more interesting and fun in the winter when you can see your track. You learn a lot from your dog that way, and it can improve your handling too.

 
Doesn't it boggle the mind that she can follow my track with all the car tracks on this parking lot? River is truly amazing. She nearly passed a UTDX last year (so, so close) and we'll see what this year brings. She'll be 11 in March. If she is still happy tracking, then I will continue to work towards her Tracking Championship - but in my heart and mind, she has it, it's just not 'official.' Sometimes, when dogs reach a certain age we need to begin letting go, and my plan is to just love every minute with River. Every minute.

Today, I am going to the gym. I'm working with a personal trainer with some big goals for 2011 to lose the rest of my weight and get in shape. I have a modest goal of running a 5 K this year. I also want to run with my dogs - lord knows because we don't have land, they need to burn energy.

By the spring I will be down another 30 pounds. That will mark 100 pounds lost! And with the weight you tend to shed a lot of other 'stuff.' It's an interesting process. My dogs will be the beneficiaries of a lot of the benefits of a waaaayyyy more active lifestyle. I think I'm pretty active with them now - but adding running will be great for all of us.


Jet is so serious when she indicates and article. I am now working with SchH articles, which are the size of one finger on a glove that is used for CKC tracking. They are way easier to carry around in my pocket! This year I'll try for Jet's TDX and UTDX. Jet is the first Border Collie with a UTD and she is such a good worker. I have very high hopes for her so the push will be on for her TCH in the next year or so.

**I'm also planning to get Ted and Jet tracking, but hope to continue with my stockdog work through the winter so we will be ready for actual trialing this spring. I will keep you posted on this!

Ted is so handsome, I just love to pose him for photos. He is also getting to be an awesome tracking dog. This year, I will try for his TD and Caden's too (after SchH 1). Ted's a funny dog. He will give the impression of being a loveable goofy guy, and then when I track with him - he always blows my mind. He is actually a very bright dog, and that fact gets lost at times because of his sweet nature. I am sworn - you read it here - to focus on this guy in my tracking this year and not do a track after the fact with him, which is often the case. But his true love (and Jet's) is sheep herding of course. So we will be setting our sights high with these two fantastic dogs.

Hey, that is my track in the snow behind him, which I ran with River. I still remember it, every turn!  

Quite a year in store! I am excited. What are YOU planning?


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.