Deep Thoughts after watching a Dog Whisperer rerun

This afternoon I watched a rerun episode of Dog Whisperer and it made me think. It was about a "Peke-a-poo" named Chloe. Chloe's owner was trying to be a pack leader with her dog, by being stern and raising her voice. When Cesar watched her, he said that this was not her normal behaviour, as she was a soft-spoken and loving person. He felt that when she acted this way - loud and stern - her dog knew she was faking it, and so it did not work. He suggested that her loud, stern voice was actually creating conflict in little Chloe, and increasing her aggressive response to giving up toys or being groomed.

So, he told the owner to "just be herself" and talk to Chloe the way she always does. It sounded too simple. BUT, when the dog had a nail file in her mouth, the owner knelt down and started to talk to Chloe in a normal, kind voice. She said something like "do you have mommy's nail file? you are not supposed to have that! drop it....drop it..." and she said it all in a very kind soft voice. Her dog literally looked into her eyes, then lowered her head and dropped the nail file into her hand. This was repeated several times and it was a magical moment that showed a lot of insight on Cesar's part, in my opinion. Not everyone has to be loud and aggressive to be a pack leader.
I usually have so much fun with the dogs, we are always laughing together. So why would I suddenly become a different person when I am training them? In this picture, Caden thinks his Giggle Ball needs to be washed with the dishes. In truth, when I am in the kitchen, my dogs try bringing toys to barter for cookies from the cookie jar on the counter!

OK, small little story, but I burst into tears when I watched it. I had to sit back and ask myself why. I think it is because I have been trying to be a pack leader with my dogs in their training and it is working just the same way. My dogs know that this is "not me." I would rather be a pack leader but in my own way, as most of it is energy and consistency, not domineering with sound.

I know that when I work sheep with Jet, I have to stay calm otherwise Jet gets wound up and is more likely to make mistakes. Even though we have not worked sheep much this summer, I have been working on quiet control with her, and on our relationship. I am looking forward to seeing how it carries over when we get back to our training.

Last weekend, the training director at the Calgary SchH Club (Wade) suggested that I start to whisper to Caden, and use a calm voice, because a forceful tone or loud voice simply agitated him. When I watched the Dog Whisperer rerun today, it brought it home, that I should be myself when I train - and why this is important. I never raise my voice to my dogs so I am sure when I do in training they wonder what is up!
All week this week, I have been working on quiet sit and Fuss commands with Caden and he has miraculously been more quiet. When I use a loud voice, he barks and whines back at me in frustration. He was probably saying "why are you yelling! I can hear you! In fact, who ARE you?"

It would be way cool if I could trial him using a soft voice throughout, rather than shouting my commands. And really amazing if I could learn to whistle so I don't have to use my voice much at all with Jet and Ted. Ted and River are my softer, more responsive dogs, and I never have to be forceful with them. Jet and Caden are the more driven pair and I am obviously figuring out the best ways to work WITH them. Time will tell, but it sure was a good show today that hit home. Thanks Cesar!


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.