When passions collide - of sheep and hay, of dogs and fur trade history, of the Scottish Highlands - and Doris

Haybales in the fall bring back memories of the 10 years I owned sheep in Thunder Bay. I just loved hay day, filling the barn with square bales and standing in the barn afterwards inhaling the sweet smell. It was such a cozy feeling, knowing we were ready for winter. The sheep even celebrated, gathering around the hay trailer like kids in a candy store. This year I live in a small hamlet that is surrounded by huge Alberta fields full of round bales. I took this picture a few weeks ago just west of Penhold, about 5 minutes from where I live!

As the week continues, I am still housebound but feeling so much better. I decided to reorganize bookshelves. Tucked into one of my shelves was an envelope from a friend in Thunder Bay. I realized she sent it to me, returning a book I lent to the "farmer" at Fort William Historical Park, Brendan Grant (note, to purists like me, of the early Fort Days, it is known as OLD FORT WILLIAM).

Brendan borrowed my book The Farmer's Dog by John Holmes. Aside from playing the farmer character, Brendan is also a sheep farmer in Pass Lake, Ontario - located on the Sibley Peninsula that forms the famous "Sleeping Giant" rock formation seen from Thunder Bay. I had never opened the envelope - shame on me. I opened it this afternoon and found that Serena had sent me a copy of Bayview magazine. In the magazine was a feature article about Brendan's "Sleepy G" organic farm. Serena had a post-it note stuck on one page, to point out this picture. On the note she had written "do you recognize these sheep?" I just smiled with delight, because there in the magazine are Doris and Pebbles pictured with Brendan. They were MY sheep! That is Doris pictured at the top of this post, taken at my house a few winters ago...and there she is below...angling for some food -- yup, that's my girl!
What a wonderful treat to find that magazine today! I placed my four older sheep as I needed lighter sheep for Jet and Ted's training. I was so lucky to have connections with the Fort, having worked there myself for ten years. Here are my sheep following me to the trailer that would take them to their new home. They would do anything for corn (makes you wonder sometimes why you really need a dog when you have your own flock that come when you rattle a bucket!)My two darker girls, Hazel and Heather, stayed at the historic farm, because they would produce coloured offspring which was more historically correct for the living history farm. Pebbles and Doris went to live in Pass Lake with Brendan. Below is a picture I copied from their website, where you can see the Great Hall and note that the sheep have run of the reconstructed headquarters of the Northwest Company. My goodness, I spent YEARS sitting at the Main Gate looking at this view when I was a tourguide. Seems like another lifetime ago. Thanks to working there for so long, there is not one fiddle or bagpipe tune I don't know. And now, I live an hour from Rocky Mountain House where David Thompson, my hero, spent many winters...the land of the Hivernants, the Winterers who actually traded goods for furs. Yeah, I know, I still sound like a tourguide...but working there did inspire me to major in Canadian History, and I rarely get to spout this stuff! And there are very interesting historical connections between the NWCo and the history of sheep and sheepdogs, too - read on....
Below, a week after sending them to the Fort, I went to visit them. Here Doris is, kind of looking at me like "do I know you?" Of my four sheep, I sort of favoured Doris who is an Arcotte - Dorset cross. When Tanya Wheeler sold her to me, she said that maybe she would bloom at my place. She was quiet and homely, and came with that name. In all the years I had Doris, I never once heard her "Baaaa." But, we did form a little bond. In the winter when I fed them hay and grain, I would always sneak a handful of corn to her, to make friends. She liked that, and learned to hang back while the others ran to the feeder, because she knew I would have the corn for her. When I worked the dogs, she was the most compliant of the sheep, whereas Heather and Hazel were very stubborn, and Pebbles never acted like a normal sheep - being a bottle fed brat before I got her! I liked Doris the best.
This picture (below) is the last time I saw Doris, before she went to her new home in Pass Lake. They say that sheep are the smartest of the barnyard animals (please take a moment to click and read this)... with long memories and facial recognition. The man who trained the animals for the move Babe wrote a beautiful tribute in a sermon about sheep that is also good reading, called Lambs of God.

People think they are not smart because they run when they are frightened. I hate to tell you this, but people would do the same - as we are much like sheep, without claws or sharp teeth for fighting. There are many good reasons sheep and people are compared in the Bible and I find them positive overall. The shepherd knows his sheep. It is true. I remember every idiosyncracy of my girls, and could pick them out in a flock with no trouble. The sheep know their shepherd. Also true. My sheep used to run to greet me but if I walked up with a stranger to them, they hung back.

There are lots of good reasons why so many Far Side cartoons featured sheep too! I love the ones where the sheep are on their hind legs working out scientific formulas, but when the farmer appears they are on all fours going baaaaa. I think Gary Larson must have had sheep. Most people who work with sheep dogs know how smart and tough sheep can be, often getting the better of dogs.


In Biblical days, and in many places still today, the shepherd walked at the front and sheep followed, because they knew their shepherd. John 10:4 reads: When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. The dogs would hold the sides and bring up the rear, and protect the sheep. This is much like tending, the natural work of German Shepherds. As sheep became commercial, with large flocks displacing Scottish Highland farmers, gathering dogs started to be used to round them up, rather than have people move nomadically from one place to another. That marked a major change in the relationship between sheep and shepherds, and was the beginning of modern, large-scale farming. I find this so interesting, because it also marks a change from tending and protection to gathering and driving, and I have both kinds of dogs with my German Shepherds and my Border Collies. In fact, the Border Collie and the "Rough Collie" later split into two types from one common ancestor simply known as the Collie.


When the Scottish Highlanders were forcibly removed during the Highland Clearances from their farms to make room for large commercial flocks of sheep, many emigrated to Canada. Some of them became famous explorers and founders of the Northwest Company, opening the west by establishing trade routes and laying the foundation for what would become Canada. And hey, that is what I wrote my thesis about, way back in University. All my passions seem to come together with sheep, dogs and history in this post! Including my new passion for local, organic, environmentally friendly food.

Here is a snapshot of the whole article about Sleepy G Farm in Pass Lake. I like to think that on a smaller, organic farm like Brendan's, Doris and Pebbles and the other sheep enjoy a more pastoral life, and are enjoying sunny days and cozy winters back home in Thunder Bay.

Here is the info on Sleepy G Farm:

Sleepy G Farm
Brendan Grant & Marcelle Paulin
RR 1, Pass Lake, ON P7B 5N1
(807) 977-1631
sleepygfarm@gmail.com
Products Available:
Grass Fed Lamb, Farm Gate Eggs, Mixed Vegetables
Where to Buy:
Farm Gate by Appointment, Phone/Email Orders, Silver Islet General Store
Sleepy G Farm is a traditional small-scale farm which produces food in an
ecological manner. By integrating crops and livestock, the farm is managed
as a living entity. We aim to produce the highest quality food while
enhancing the fertility and integrity of the soil


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.