Canada's First Toy Tracking Champion - TCH Winrob's Sleepy Hollow UTDX TDX RN PCD CGN and one heck of a good dog!!!

On Sunday November 1, 2009 Austen the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel passed his first attempt at a UTDX title to become Canada's first toy breed Tracking Champion, and 12th TCH since this title was offered by the CKC.

The picture below was taken shortly after their successful track!This is a little photo essay of their journey. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I will mostly let pictures tell the story. At the end of the post are a few quotes describing the UTDX test, and a link to another story about Julie and Austen that I wrote last spring for a Thunder Bay Ontario news website. I hope you enjoy these pictures, the journey of the little dog who could ... and his friend Julie who had faith and believed in him ...

Below is the certificate I made for Julie after completing a Beginners Class in 2005. In the photo, Austen is nearly lost in the tall grass by the time the class ended - when the hay was ready for first cut! The certificate says "Welcome to the sport of tracking!" I received a card from Julie who wrote that she liked the idea of tracking being a journey. Little did we know then where her journey was heading!

The next spring, Julie and Austen were back for our first class. Here is Austen, already showing his determination, following a track after a spring snowstorm in April, 2006. In May, 2006 Austen towed Julie to the glove, as they passed their TD under judge Dawn Sanderson, of Thunder Bay. Austen's was the fastest track of the day!

Now hooked on tracking, Julie and Austen were out constantly, in the sun...In the rain...And in the snow...
In May, 2007, Julie and Austen earned their TDX under judge Marie Babin of southern Ontario.Julie willingly helped newcomers at tracking classes and seminars. Below she is with her 'team' at one of my beginner's seminars.
In 2006, I invited Susan Highton of British Columbia to visit our tracking group and tell us about her urban experiences. Susan's Golden Retriever Murphy was Canada's first Tracking Champion earlier that year! Our great friend Marge Schultz of Minnesota came up to share - Marge earned a VST with her English Cocker Hattie on the same weekend that Austen became a Tracking Champion! Way to go Marge! In the picture below, Susan and Marge joke about using construction signs to show the way!
Julie and Austen navigate some hard surface while Susan Highton looks on...
Austen soon showed how he loved to truck out ahead, showing Julie where to find her lost articles!Sandra Allard and her Golden Retriever Leisha were at the same Urban Weekend with Susan and Marge - and - they also earned their Tracking Championship last weekend in Thunder Bay. Leisha is 8 years old below, and is now an 11-year old TCH. Congratulations to Sandra!
Below is a group shot of the tracking group in Thunder Bay. Four dogs from this group now have their Tracking Championships, of a total of 12 in Canada. The other two are Jasper - Canada's 4th Tracking Champion and first Aussie UTDX (Oct 07) and Penny, Karen's other Aussie (May 08) who became the 7th TCH in Canada. Julie was the tracklayer for Jasper's successful track and she now regularly helps to organize and volunteer at tracking tests. This photo makes me so homesick for my great tracking friends! What a wonderful group of people. But there is always more learning to be done in tracking. For Christmas one year, Austen got Julie a book, hoping to tune her up, because he had a vision...And in May 2009, Julie and Austen passed their UTD. Here is a story I wrote about Austen describing this test for a Thunder Bay online news website...Austen Sniffs his way into the Record Books... And here is a description of the entire test from an earlier post on this blog. Below Julie and Austen pose with their UTD judge JoAnne Mcleod (BC), whose test description you can read if you click on the above link to the earlier post on this blog. And yes, Austen is wearing a crown and cape - King Austen! On the "CKC Tracking Yahoo Group list" Julie wrote a note of thanks to all of the well-wishers after her successful UTDX. She wrote:

Thank you so much for all the best wishes. I'm not sure if Sandra is on
this list, but I will be sure to pass on your messages when I see her. I did
share Austen's water bottle AGAIN this test but I made sure to bring one big
enough for both of us. Thank you Marie for coming back to Thunder Bay. I know I
speak for many of who appreciate the generosity of the respected Judges who
donate their personal time and expertise to travel to these tests. That is a lot
to give to the tracking community and we do appreciate it. Thank you Katie and
Karen for all your hard work in organisng trials and for all your common sense
in training. I really want to thank Donna Brinkworth who had so much impact on
our Thunder Bay tracking community. Donna your tracking classes have resulted in
4 Champions!! My dog found the final glove but Donna coached us all the way!
Alberta has stolen our gem. I have had a few people ask me what Austen is going
to do next and I had to really think about it because it hadn't occured to me to
move on. In our usual post test tradition we reran our test track and I have
compiled a list of 'training to dos' that we need to work on this winter. I
think we are going to stay right here!

Thanks again,Julie and Austen ( I have to write it out just this
once)

TCH Winrob's Sleepy Hollow, UTDX TDX RN PCD CGN
and one heck of a good dog!!!

Below is a picture of Sandra Allard and Leisha, Julie with Austen and Katie Jaremey aka stinky feet, Julie's tracklayer. Katie's young boy Gibson, a Golden, earned his TD the day before!
The test judge, Marie Babin wrote:

3 TCH. Winrob's Sleepy Hollow RN P-CD CGN (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel male) 6
yrs. owned by Julie Hutka of Thunder Bay On. "Austen" only had difficulty in the
parking lot on the 5th leg where the plastic article had been possibly kicked
off the track by about 10' . He managed to move up and back down the leg to find
the article then continued on to the end and got the last article on veg. A PASS
!!! and NEW Tracking Champion !!
Our good friend Jolene McCuaig whose Rough Collie Tate earned his TD in May 2006, wrote this about Julie on the CKC chat list:

Julie....I am without enough words to express how thrilled I am for you
& Austen~....I was totally choked up when I read the news that he was now a
tracking champion! Austen is all heart & I am blessed to have been able to
train with you & Austen.Just a point of interest for the group, in May of
2007, I had entered my collie Tate for his TD, Marie Babin was the judge then
also. I was nervous & full of doubt, Julie e-mailed me a note of
encouragement that helped me more then she knew. I carried the note with me
& read it everyday before the trial, we passed! I still have the note Julie,
it is beside Tate's tracking certificate in his album. This is the kind of
person Julie is, as well as all the Thunder Bay trackers. We all had a bond
& I really miss you all!Congratulations also to my good friend &
tracking buddy Katie & Gibson for their TD, & to Sandra & Leisha on
their UTDX!

Jolene McCuaigLethbridge AB, formally of Thunder Bay
Jolene's blog One Collie is very popular and worth checking out!

Below is a photo showing Sandra and Leisha, Marie Babin, Julie and Austen, and Sigrid Appelt who earned a TD on Krista and a UTD on her big boy Dante. Dante is my River's littermate, and Krista is a Dante daughter. All of my GSDs have been from Sigrid, until I got Caden last year.

But my favourite quote of all, and the one that really grabs at my heartstrings is from a note Julie sent to me. I am sure Julie won't mind if I share it here. She wrote:

"Thanks again Donna, you really gave me a wonderful gift with tracking. Funny,
now that he made it, I realize it was never about the ribbons after all. I love
to track."

I have been watching Julie and Austen progress over the years and through tracking we became friends - and Julie has been there for me through many important events (dog and non-dog related) too. Some of the best friends we make are accidental and unexpected, and thanks to our dogs!

At the very start, we talked about the importance of the journey, and if you read my philosophy in the sidebar of this blog, you will see that I find this aspect of tracking very important. That one line from Julie is about as good a gift as anyone could ever give to me, and I cry even as I type this here. I have always known Julie loves to track, you know when you are out with someone (in all weather) if they have passion.

And of course, if really helps when you have a once-in-a-lifetime dog like Austen as a teacher, companion and friend...Congratulations to TRACKING CHAMPION AUSTEN and his best friend Julie. Julie, I am so happy and proud to call you my friend and have been honoured to have some involvement in this accomplishment even though it was you who had the faith and put in the hard work. As I always say, I am the one who learns the most as a tracking instructor. Thank you.


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.