River's Urban Tracking Dog test

A Christmas story for trackers...

Today, on Christmas Day I reflect on the things I am thankful for. A big one in the past year is River's UTD title, earned last May under judge Marie Babin. Here is the story of her test; and below are photos and results of the entire test!

Even though it takes a long time to tell the story, the entire track flies by in minutes!
River's tracklayer was Leann Macintosh. You can view a slideshow of River's track in the sidebar menu compiled from pictures taken by my friends and by Marie. A map of the track is above, from Google Earth.

In the week prior to the test, River and Ted were running in my yard, and collided. River threw her neck out in the accident, and I had to take her to my vet that afternoon, where she was pronounced OK in every way, so I made an appointment for River to see Dana Gleeson, a local chiropractor who also helped dogs with chiropractic needs. Dana was able to fit River in and gave her a great adjustment and massage. River just loved being worked on as she sprawled on the big puffy blanket in Dana's "dog office."


This is NOT what you want to happen to your dog, right before a tracking test! I was unsure if I would keep her in the test, but the day of the test, River seemed like her regular self. We drew the 3rd track of the morning, which ran at 9 AM.



I had been working hard with River, using new ideas and techniques I read about in Steve Ripley's book "Making Scents of the Urban Jungle." Later that summer, I brought Steve to Thunder Bay for a tracking clinic, because I was very impressed with his ideas. One of the biggest changes I made to my tracking technique was this: I laid most of my own tracks, so I knew where they went - which I feel is a very important way to observe and understand your dog's tracking behaviour. In the past, if River paralleled or fringed a leg, I would follow, as I felt that she was indicating the track location even though she was not on the primary track.


Using Steve's method, I raised the bar for River. I would allow her to explore as much as she wanted, but would not follow unless she was ON the track. I gave her more time, and only stepped in to help once I felt she was reaching that breaking point where she might lose confidence.


Shortly before her test, I remember a turning point in our teamwork. I had laid a track for River at the local University grounds. I knew at one point that it turned right. River had tracked four legs already quite nicely. However, she overshot a turn to trot from one berm to another. I played out all my line to let her go check things out. She did a quick check, then turned and trotted right back at me, making eye contact - and at a fast pace. I couldn't back up more quickly! She flew at me, hit the track again, and turned smartly right on track. I felt a rush that only trackers can understand when I watched her. She had taken control of the game.


The played out in our test in an unbelievable manner.



The gallery on the urban day, trackers and tracklayers watch the last track of the day.


Right before River's test, I watched Dawn Sanderson pass with her GSD Darius. As I watched, I did some positive thinking about my handling. Dawn is always such a good handler. She had a tricky leg on her test, and she handled it so well, to pass! This is always such a good boost in a test, and had me feeling very positive going into River's test. Tracking is such a supportive sport because it is non-competitive and we always wish every person well, and feel like we are with them on the track. Here are Dawn and Darius on their second leg, before turning to cross the main road at the College.

We drove to the location of my track, which was at the soccer field at Confederation College. River failed her first attempt at UTD on a soccer field at the University. Sigh. I tried not to think "another soccer field!" I tried to calm myself. I tried not to worry about her sore neck. We had a short walk to the start. River always wants to start too fast, so I have worked on that, too. In urban tracking it is so important to ensure your dog takes in the scent because that scent is more elusive in an urban environment. I held her at the scent pad until I felt she was ready to go. The first leg went west, and was in the shade on a fairly moist area downhill from the soccer field. River looked beautiful.



I remember when I first started to train her to track on non-veg - she actually had trouble on her veg turns, and seemed to handle the non-veg easily. It is disconcerting when you train a dog in urban tracking to see them lose their veg ability - and so important to keep a balance of urban and veg work until your dog's brain fires up more connections to add this new ability to their scenting repertoire. In fact, I start all my dogs on both now. But River started the traditional way, in the field first.




Watching River on her veg leg made me feel very proud. But - I had to focus!! She did a cast right before a bike path that intersected her path, and turned to the left to head south. This took her up onto the soccer field. She motored along and I felt confident we were on track. Then - suddenly, she did exactly what she did that day in our training. She stopped dead, turned around, and flew right at me, making eye contact.


My heart started to pound. It looked so good, could this be happening? I backed up and up until we were back at the turn. She did a little cast and decided she had to cross the bike path. I went up to the bike path and let her go to the other side, which was a very marshy hole filled with standing water. River checked around, going right into the mud. Then, she flew back at me again, back to the turn, and went left again back to the soccer field. She was in control of the game!


This is the nervous part of tracking! Usually I keep River on a shorter line in urban than I use on the field. I decided I would play out a lot of line so that I could get a good look at her from a distance. This can give you a different perspective on your dog's body language that you don't get when you are close. I played out my line and followed slowly, watching. I had just come to my full line length when I saw her make a definite turn to the left! Now I was 40 feet behind her and she was already on the next leg! I ran as fast as I could to get in behind her and before I could even catch up, she was indicating her first article, a piece of wood.


Unless you track with your dog, you can't imagine the feeling when your dog comes to an article. The sport involves so much trust and belief in our dogs because we are visual, and we can't see the track. And our dogs, if trained properly, do this out of love and motivation to work with us. It is very humbling. Even as I type this, I choke up with the memory.



River has always been a no nonsense girl. She hates playing with articles. I picked up the piece of wood and waved it at the judge. I realized that this was the first time during the test that I even remembered that Marie and Leeann were behind me! Tracking is such an inward thinking sport, requiring so much focus. Usually I am a nervous handler, but this time I knew we were ready and it felt good. I looked up and saw a few things ahead of me - bleachers at the edge of the field, a parking lot, and a building. As I was taking this in, River was on the job. She reached the parking lot, and went out with her normal confidence. Non-veg has always been her forte in urban - veg has been our nemesis!


I felt very calm, and watched River not even hesitate as she made a right turn. This was a long narrow lot, that opened into a big square lot. River trotted along at a good clip. As she entered into the wider part of the lot, she suddenly veered to the right. I remember being very caught off guard. Really? Two turns? She was moving so fast that I actually had the line yanked from my hands. Great form! I ran to catch her line at about the same time as she was carefully sniffing a lightpost.



At this point I started to scan the parking lot. Did we miss our glove? What was going on? River veered back to the original line we were following, and was heading for the berm between the parking lot and a road. I was really beginning to panic, when she stopped dead and dipped her head to nose the glove. She looked at me and started to wag her tail. PASS! The glove was way at the far end, right before the curb. It blended into the pavement. That wiley Marie Babin, she made sure River had to find it! I ran up with my arms in the air telling River how much I loved her. The crowd of my friends ran up for hugs.





After the merry making, I gathered up my articles and started to walk back to the car, where a big treat was waiting for River. She loves this part of tracking and usually pulls for all her might to the car. Suddenly, as she was pulling, she showed a slight limp. Dawn was the one who ran over to me to point it out, because I was still in "la la land" about passing. In the adrenaline of the test, River had completed her entire track in beautiful form, and after passing, she remembered her sore neck. However, she was fine and happy and has not had any problems with her neck since then.

One funny behaviour that she has developed though - every time she plays with Ted, she stops and turns her head back to touch her sides, as if to say "I have to check my ribs!" She is such a funny, quirky dog.

When Steve Ripley came to Thunder Bay in July, we held the seminar in the building and on the grounds where River passed. Something Steve pointed out was that transitions in urban tracking can mean many things - and are not just from veg to non-veg. They can be from light to shadow or moist to dry surfaces. I realized that River had sorted out a major transition at her first turn, to go from the shady, moist area of her first leg, up onto the dry, sunny second leg. I think that when she ran back to cross the bike path, she wanted to double check the moist marshy area, and who knows, some scent could have definitely been hanging over this area.


Since that day, we have been getting ready for UTDX. I've been playing around with tracking here in Red Deer, and have been aging her tracks slowly. Last fall, I layed a track around my office building and ran it with River during our coffee break, the NEXT DAY, 17 hours later, and she nailed it. She has acclimatized to the new veg and we are looking for that next test, and having some fun with our practice sessions, to keep the joy in tracking.

At the same test that weekend many of my friends and students also did well. Karen Boyes earned her TCH with her Aussie Penny (above). Karen became the first person in Canada to earn two UTDXs in a row both on her first attempts, two tests in a row - the first being with her Aussie Jasper the previous fall. Penny earned her TDX on this same weekend, so passed both tests two days in a row! Dawn Sanderson, our CKC rep also passed UTD. A US exhibitor also passed a UTD test with her Standard Poodle making her 8 hour drive worth the trip!
The gallery on the field day for TDs and TDXs. Tracklayers and trackers gathered for this shot. It was raining - perfect! However, the rain was too hard for some tracks, causing problems. The same group from behind, watching the 2nd TD track of the day.


In the field test, my friend and students to earn TDs were Katie and her Golden Henley (in a 4 minute track), and first - time tracker Peggy and her Cocker Harley. Harley above, and Henley below. I was so proud - when you are a tracking instructor you are not just nervous for yourself, but you feel like you are in the field with every dog and handler you have worked with! I always tell people - you are the one that did all the work! But I still feel like a proud mom when they pass. Harley was one of those dogs who showed promise the very first time Peggy had him in a beginner's seminar and I was sure they would pass!

My friend, and student, Margaret also passed her TD with aussie Drake.



Drake's first track was fouled by some ATV joy riders. Marie laid her another track on a field full of seagulls. During the track, it poured rain, and Margaret couldn't even see Drake, who confidently towed her to the glove!
Oh yes, we are happy! Good boy Drake. At one point, Margaret was so disoriented she was facing one way, while Drake was behind her pulling for all his might in the right direction, and he literally whirled her around on the spot!


Sigrid and Dante. Sigrid encourages all of her 'puppy people' to track, and has more titles than anyone else in Thunder Bay on her dogs.

River's breeder Sigrid Appelt passed her TDX with River's brother Dante in a picture perfect track. He looked majestic as he came over a hill to the final glove. She looks like Mary Tyler Moore of the tracking world, tossing that last glove in the air as she hugs Dante. Below is a pictures of me, Marie and Sigrid, and littermates River and Dante! I am holding River's wooden article.

This seems like a good Christmas story for a tracking person like me. I moved to Alberta shortly afterwards so it was my last test in Thunder Bay. With the New Year coming, as I look back on 2008 it stands out as one of the best moments of the year. I hope you have enjoyed reading it, and remember that you can do this too! Happy Tracking in 2009.
Thanks, River -you are such a wonderful friend. River is also known as Lindau's Uncharted Course UTD JHD HCT


Category Article , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.