Willy the Staffordshire Terrier says Merry Christmas!

My sister sent these photos of her big boy Willy, who is almost 8 years old. He is the most laid-back, friendly dog I know and everyone loves him.

On walks, she tells me that people will be patting him and his tail will be wagging, and they will ask "what kind of dog is he?" When she says "he is a Staffordshire Terrier" some people actually pull their hands back as if they are shocked by his sweet nature. It is a sad commentary on the power of persuasion through the media, and since I work in communications this is something I am familiar with. Someone who does a lot to promote the bully dogs is Cesar Millan, who shows on his show how all dogs are influenced by leadership or lack thereof. Anyhow, enough of the soapbox!
Willy's favourite activities are:

- swimming (but he wears a life jacket because his legs are so spindly compared with his big body - but HE thinks he can swim)
- riding in the van and getting Timbits (little donuts) from the drive through coffee shop; and at their regular McDonald's - the girls always give him a free hamburger because they think he is so cute
- hearing that "Daddy is coming" to visit, and running around the house with a shoe that he has selected to show off when Daddy arrives - no shoe is safe in my sister's house!
- camping and fishing with Lori and John
This is Willy with my sister's partner John and his grandson. Willy loves kids! Look at his face. Did you know the Staffordshire Terrier was the "kid's dog" on the show Little Rascals in the 50s? And the RCA Victor dog listening to "his master's voice" is also a Staffie. Until the tide turned, they were renowned as great family companions.

My sister and I grew up with Rough Collies. When she called me to say she brought Willy home, I remember thinking - why a Staffie? What about a nice Collie or Golden? Willy has changed my mind about the importance of a good upbringing and environment. Even my vet, who neutered Willy, told us at the time that he has seen more bad-tempered dogs in other breeds compared with mostly good-natured Staffordshire Terriers.

Merry Christmas from Big Willy

Postscript: These dogs are currently banned in Ontario and anyone who owned one before the ban must now muzzle their dog in public. As long as my sister lives in Ontario, she will never have another Staffordshire Terrier. I can't even imagine someone telling me I will never have another German Shepherd, but who is to say that in the future, someone will decide shepherds are too dangerous for people to own? Believe it or not, in the 1960s, the Rough Collie made #1 on the list of dogs that were biting in an article compiled by the US Time Magazine. This was due in large part to the surge in popularity of the Collie because of Lassie. More dogs, more breeding; some of it poor breeding, more owners, including many poor owners = more biting incidents (not to mention all of the "part collies" no doubt). OK, I know - more soapbox stuff, enough said.


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.