Shaman's 11th Birthday - still beating the Cancer odds and his special diet

Today is Shaman's 11th birthday. I just wrote a long post about him a few days ago which you can find here: http://spiritdancedogs.blogspot.com/2008/12/way-to-go-shaman-1-rough-collie-ckc.html I keep saying this, but it is a miracle he is here considering I thought I would lose him to cancer over a year ago.


How is he spending his birthday? Well, he has a little cold, so he is staying inside, mostly. Because of his Cancer, he has his ups and downs and I just go with the flow. Otherwise, since it is still cold, we are holed up inside again today! This is fine with me, because I still have so much unpacking to do in this new house. Plus, I am still trying to master my new software program for video editing.
If you think you are seeing the same photos being recycled, just imagine how it feels to be cooped up in the cold for days! I am really hoping for a warm day this weekend to actually get out with everyone.
In the meantime, here is a bit about Shaman's Cancer Diet.
Shaman gets a special diet because of his Cancer - all of the dogs get grain-free food now. In addition, everyone gets Wild Salmon and fish oil supplements, unprocessed coconut from the health food store (a tumour preventative that may also shrink tumours), Ester C vitamins, and real meat (either Evo canned, or ground beef that is semi-cooked) plus raw bones. From time to time I feed canned tripe too, for the enzymes.
I also put Essiac Tea in their drinking water, which boosts the immune system and has long been recognized as helpful to people with Cancer. Shaman has a hard time keeping weight on, but eats very well! I have to find that balance though - because if I tip the balance, he ends up sick from both ends, so it is a constant managing act.
See these links for information about coconut and a cancer diet: http://cancer.landofpuregold.com/prevent.htm
A word about all of this though - I did this with Thorn my German Shepherd, and it didn't help him. In addition, my own Mom followed a lot of these ideas, and they didn't help her either! So we have to choose what we think we can do, try to live a happy and stress free life, enjoy every day, and hope what we do will work. But it is never 100% fullproof. I had Cancer in 2003 and sometimes marvel at how quickly it was caught and now, after 5 years of regular check-ups, the Cancer Clinic just released me from their regular care. Cancer is everywhere, we all know people and dogs with Cancer and there are good new stories and sad stories in everyone's family.
So with Shaman, I have determined to do what I can reasonably do and as my vet says, I seem to have found something that works - so don't mess with it. He says Shaman is "one for the text books!" Last August in an annual exam, he could hardly find evidence of Cancer in Shaman, but living with Shaman, I know that he is battling it on some level, and I am there for him.
It is very hard to believe that in 2007 he was in a herding trial, and this year, I have to help him up stairs...but we are happy he is here, and he is still very dominant in the pack - he has always given off this aura and claimed a large circle of space around him, he's just that kind of dog!
Shaman enjoys being in when everyone is in, but otherwise, HE wishes he was outside because he has been busy flirting with Jet, who he thinks is the most beautiful dog in the world.
WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON TODAY?

Caden is still amazed when his favourite show The Dog Whisperer comes on TV, but he is no longer roaring around barking. He just sits in his favourite chair and pays attention. I keep hoping this will rub off on him!
I call the photo below "Peace on Earth" because River and Jet are on the bed sleeping together. They have a little "thing" because River objects to Jet's business. But when Jet decides to be calm, River actually likes her company. I got busy typing and lost track of them, and tiptoed over to take this picture...
Ted is my little shadow. When I am at the computer he is always at my feet. He is still finding little bits and things to offer me as his special "toys" (see below)...
Yup...that is a piece of thread, and a tiny fragment of a Tim Horton's coffee lid. It is embarrassing that Ted is finding these things, because I thought I cleaned the house for Christmas. He had a hard time spitting that thread onto my lap, but once he accomplished his mission, he laid back wagging his tail, quite pleased with this find!

This is the scene the meets me at bedtime. I call it "where do you sleep?" It is sort of like the couch scene above, which could be entitled "where do you sit?"

And little miss Jet sleeps in an extra large shepherd crate, so she and River can each enjoy peaceful nights. Plus Jet has little "monkey paws" that can fish things from any counter. When she is in a crate, I also get a better sleep!

While unpacking, I found the blanket that is in her crate. If you look, you will see it has sheep on it. My mother bought this blanket for me many years ago - before I even had sheep of my own. She knew I loved sheep. I didn't get this blanket until after my Mom had died from Cancer. It was stashed in a closet. Apparently she was saving it for me, hoping I might have children...so I have decided Jet can have it, since she is about as smart as a very clever toddler (maybe smarter)...


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.