The Kitchen Witch, still on guard

When it is freezing outside, a Border Collie will still find a job to do, and a blogger will find a post to post! Forgive me for posting another commentary on this, but I am going stir crazy in here too! My little Kitchen Witch is still on guard tonight... I took the pictures for the post below a few days ago. Just as I published it, I turned around and saw that Jet is still on guard. Tonight I am baking more cookies (this has been a process). Caden was clinging to my legs when I got up, and here is why...he is not allowed into the kitchen by the "kitchen witch." I went to check on the cookies and she is steadfastly guarding my cooking area! The funny thing is that she is SO SERIOUS. She sees absolutely nothing funny about protecting my work area from the other dogs. And as I came back to the computer, she ran ahead of me and sat here, pointing her nose UP at the white bowl covered with tinfoil - can you spot it? Her nose tells her it is there...be gentle with me, I am busy baking so everything is piled into that corner!Jet tells me that she is also keeping an eye on the bowl of burnt and broken cookies that I have been sharing with everyone! Well, if you come here and enjoy a cookie, or if you get any cookies from me this Christmas, you know who to thank for keeping them safe.

By the way, here is some 'Kitchen Witch lore for you' - I know about it as Minnesota is just south of Thunder Bay, and populated by Scandinavians, so you find kitchen witches in their craft stores...

There is some debate over the exact country the kitchen witch originated, some claiming Norway and others Germany, but consensus points to it stemming from older European customs. The poppet is supposed to depict a "good" witch who inspires productivity and safety in a kitchen, but also counteracts any ill-will directed to the home. It is considered good luck to give a kitchen witch to a friend or family member. So that those unfamiliar with the kitchen witch can understand its meaning, sometimes a note will be hung around the witch's neck stating something similar to:

"The Legendary Secret of Goof-Proof Cooking: The Famous Kitchen Witch
For centuries, Norwegians have hung this good witch in their kitchen. They believe she has the power to keep roasts from burning, pots from boiling over, and sauces from spilling."

In England
Although largely unknown in modern England, the Kitchen Witch may have been known in England in Tudor times. The will of a John Crudgington, of Newton, Worfield, Shropshire, dated 1599, includes amongst his household possessions "one witche in the kytchyn".


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.