New Girl in Town!

Who is this pretty new girl? Have I really broken down and finally got a smooth Border Collie?You might almost think so...I know Ted hoped it was true, because she is so pretty! Ted did not mind spending a little time with the new girl in an x-pen in my front vestibule! Look at his happy face (and her coy look)...But no, I have not lost my mind - four dogs is enough (for now)...this is Asherah, or "Northern Alchemy" and she is an 11-month old Canaan Dog from Northern Tempest Farms and Sufat Sheleg Canaan Dogs, of Raven Alberta. I think she is one of the prettiest dogs I have ever seen! But not only is she pretty, she is already turning into quite the cattle dog according to her owner Michelle. You can read all about the Canaan Dog on the Sufat Sheleg website. They are a rare breed, originating from the wild, ancient herding and guard dogs of Israel. Michelle and Ash came for a visit yesterday. Since she hails from Ontario, we had so much in common! Michelle and her husband Larry moved to Alberta around the same time as me, with a dream of getting sheep and starting a new life here (hmmm, sound familiar - yeah, that is my dream too). They used to train and trial with Sue Jewell in the Barrie area. Sue is a friend of Scott Glenn - hosting clinics with Scott every year.

So...Ontario, herding, move to Alberta, Scott Glen, dreams of sheep - oh yes, and their Canaan Dogs have all started tracking...plus, Michelle went to Ontario College of Art and that is where my best friend went to school. It is one of the top fine arts schools in the world, and I have been there. We just don't run out of things to talk about. So here we are making our new lives in a new province, and we have discovered each other! Not only did Ted welcome Ash, but he schmoozed with Michelle too. Have I mentioned that Ted is a schmoozer? Below, Ted got a little to close to his new girl Ash and had to withstand Jet's icy glare...However, Ash and Jet decided that they could be friends and they had quite a silly outside - for just a few minutes because it was so cold out (still is)...
Ash decided she liked visiting Spiritdance Church. She made herself right at home! I still can't get over how much she looks like a smooth Border Collie, and I gather Michelle gets asked that question all the time here in Alberta. But when I see her next to Jet and Ted, she projects this aura of class, and Jet and Ted look like a pair of ragamuffins!
Jet is not impressed that Ash is in her spot! And no one was happy today, but it was inevitable - everyone got a brush and a trim after I saw this picture! Next weekend, Michelle and I are hoping to do some snow tracking as it will be around zero C (that is 32 F) and my crew will be shiny and brushed in those pictures! It is great fun to have a new herding and tracking friend within 45 minutes of my home here in Penhold. Stay tuned for more Canaan Dog pics if we track next weekend.

PS Michelle has a planned litter that will be the first in Alberta in a decade - check her website! Her dogs are the most accomplished Canaan's in Canada, setting breed records. They remind me of my GSDs and Border Collies - very versatile with a similar temperament and desire for a job.


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.