Chinook!! Barefoot in January

Yup, this is how warm it was when I got home today! I still get excited when we get a Chinook (shin-ook). This is a spectacular weather phenomenon when warm Pacific air compresses over the Rocky Mountains and loses all of it's moisture, then roars down the lee side building up heat with it's movement. In some areas of Alberta it can cause tremendous winds - mostly in the south, around Lethbridge! Just ask my friends there who tell me the winds are very tough where tracking is concerned. We don't get them as often in Red Deer, so I still get very excited when the temps go fro below -20 C (0 F) up to nearly 20 C - that is a 40 degree jump! Check it out...


The last time I had barefeet was in Maui last October!


Snow is melting off the rooftop of my little church house...


My new metal roofs are doing their thing on the dog runs, and water is pouring out of the drain from the eaves... this is Caden's run. He clearly is impatient for me to let him out!


Jet and Ted's run has no snow on top - it gets a bit more sun all day. There's River lording it over everyone. She is in the house all day, while they are in runs. Her homecoming routine is to do a ball-dance while the others wait for me to set them free!


And the sun was just pouring into my church windows. What a big difference from a month ago when it was pitch black when I got hom from work!


My Dad built this hand rail last fall - the deck steps have no snow or ice. And Jet's igloo is nearly unburied! This is her little hideout - no one else fits in it. She goes in there with bones and balls. Jet = evil, lol


My neighbour took this of me - she asked to take some pics of me for her scrapbooking! So I handed her my camera to take one of me in front of my house. I am very lucky to have such nice neighbours!


And dare I say that's grass along the edge of the sidewalk! It is supposed to get cold again this weekend, but it sure is a nice break from winter.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.