Poor Caden! The joys of dog management.

with apologies for the photos, taken with my iphone...


Jet is in season and has been all week - while we've had temperatures of minus 25 C all week! I took the picture above this morning - he was exhausted from a bit of Benadryl and a good howling session last night. 
I've had to figure out how to manage all of the dogs and separate them in this weather. Normally they all get along, but right now, Caden and Ted both want Jet, and River is also anxious about Jet.

My solution?

Jet and Ted hang out downstairs all day. I'd be happy if Ted bred Jet, but her seasons are not normal, so it's not likely to happen. Plus he lives with her, and she bosses him around horribly. As you can see here - she spent the night guarding the best ripped up gloves and socks and bones, while Ted hangs back with admiration. I come home at lunch and let them out. They are so good in the house and make me very proud!


Caden is in a crate in the morning and goes out for the afternoon when it is a tiny bit warmer - and I do have insulated doghouses with doors, and a metal roof on the runs - plus tarps wrapped around them. Mind you, the cold air probably is good for him, and will tire him out a bit. My neighbours are so great - they talk to Caden if he is upset and he calms down becaues he knows them. They say he is being very good and just howls when they are out, because he is hoping it is me coming home. I've actually had to claim a half day of vacation for all the running back and forth I am doing this week, even though work is just 15 minutes away.

Jet and Ted get their time with me while Caden and River are out - and so on. Having four dogs is a total management issue at times like this but my house and yard are very well set up with separate doors and fencing. Caden and Ted are being super to each other, but I give a lot of credit to Ted who is so smart and knows how to avoid confrontation. He is a neat dog.

The only problem?

Caden is beside himself. I took this photo this morning with my iPhone as he was very determined I should get out of bed and let him join Jet in the basement. He is gentle, but I do like to sleep in on Saturday! He is pretty much lying on me, staring into my face!

In the middle of the night, I heard River punish him - good girl!


Maybe he will sleep in a crate tonight. And dear little Jet will be spayed this spring. I will probably neuter Ted too, as they are both 5 this year. If by chance Jet is preggers from Ted, I would be very happy to have a pup that I could start with, hoping to have sheep and land soon as I am looking very hard.


Category Article , , , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.