The Long Coat - an Abomination? Really!

I just read a post today from someone on a German Shepherd Genetics chat group. In the post this woman said A LONG COAT IS AN ABOMINATION! I can see that this person has been a show dog breeder since the 1950s and I am sure she is dedicated to the breed, yadda yadda yadda. But when I read such an absolute, it makes me shake my head. The definition of the word abomination is "something vile, loathsome and disgusting..." People really need to be careful when they use these words!
A watercolour I did of River on the shore of Lake Superior, in Grand Marais Minnesota.
River is 8 here.

After becoming more involved with working dogs - Border Collies, and now Working lines GSDs, I can see how easy it is to get caught up in the narrow view of one organization only. Long coats do appear in show lines! If both parents carry the gene, poof! This was the case with River, whose sire is a heavy-hitter American dog (Sel. Ch, ROM, Westminster show dog, specialty type male). When the decision was made to get River, it was because we loved the dogs we'd had over the years from her breeder, but wanted a dog that would not have to go in the show ring. Plus, who could resist her? She was adorable and there was a little competition going on (friendly one but still...)

So as an "abomination" should this dog be euthanized? drowned? Honestly! When people use words like this, what are they thinking? In a day and age of increasing awareness of dog rescue (e.g. Dogtown, Dog Whisperer, Rescue Ink) can someone have such an ego and lack of conscience as to say - this puppy does not deserve to live because of its long coat! Saying something is an abomination opens the door to all kinds of horrible decisions about what dogs are more deserving or entitled to live. I really take exception to that!

I am sickened by this attitude and it has to go the way of the dinosaur, in my not so humble opinion. A long coat poses no health problems, it is a matter of appearance and practicality. I am not saying let's breed for long coats. Breeding should be based on the right things. We want to keep our dogs sound and healthy. We don't breed for any specific colour (like all black dogs) and we do breed for good structure and most importantly we breed for health and temperament. I AM saying, let's not propogate an attitude that a long coat pup is vile and less deserving than other pups in a litter.

So let's look at the working standard for the German Shepherd - here is what the FCI standard for working German Shepherds says about long coats:
c) The long coated German Shepherd Dog

The coat is considerably longer than that of the long-smooth-coat. It is generally very soft and forms a parting along the back. The undercoat will be found in the region of the loins or will not be present at all. A long coat is greatly diminished in weatherproofing and utility and therefore is undesirable.

Faults
Faults include anything that impairs working versatility...


And here is what the CKC and AKC Standards say...
Faults in coat include complete lack of any undercoat, soft, silky or too long outer coat and curly or open coat.

So in dog shows, long coats are not shown (technically!). But of course they are trimmed and shown (!) sometimes. I know one with a Best in Show many years ago. And many are quite beautiful. Look at that top photo of the watercolour I did of River on the shore of Lake Superior. No, her ear did not come up *(whole other issue) but she IS beautiful! And people who meet her on the street always comment on her, and want to touch her.
 
And long coats are used in all kinds of work and service roles. My River is a great tracking dog, but she was also a very helpful dog when I had sheep! Her job was to carry the bucket. However, she did have a passion for herding that I was too inexperienced to channel as she got older.
 
Aside from the notes in the FCI standard about weather proofing I have to agree that if the coat does not impair working ability and poses no health problem, then carry on! I see a lot of long coats in working dogs, and like me, people keep their dogs groomed and trimmed.
 
River does get hot. And her coat gets tangled. But I can live with that. To say she is an abomination - I can't live with it!
I have not even mentioned to River that I read this today. But I am sure she would laugh.

She is beautiful and very clever and I can't imagine the last ten years without her! And I think she is just fine, thanks very much.


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.