Introducing Spiritdance Big Ben, Jet and Ted's pup

10 minutes old

After all that waiting - I was a bit worried that labour was not kicking in, and with a single pup this is a valid concern. I brought Jet to the vet around 4:30 today and my vet, Dr. Ken Hubbard, said the pup's heart was a bit slower than he would like, and so it may be a bit stressed. In went Jet for a c-section and by 6 PM, we met Ben! I was waffling on names until I saw him and Big Ben was so perfect! Ben for 'son' and Big Ben because he is a big boy (I now understand he is normal size for a Border Collie at 400 grams). I have an Uncle Ben whose real name is Eli Kahara, but as a teenager he was nicknamed Big Ben and it stuck. So all the way around I love the name. Plus it is the one syllable preferred by the Border Collie people for working.

First time nursing

And of course I have video!



Jet is not too sure of everything but is settling down. I am so proud of her. The pup reminds me of Ted in many ways, size and shape of head. I hope he has Jet's extra dash of intelligence - Ted is so biddable and eager to please and Jet is just brilliant, though a bit headstrong. I love them both. Jet is a daughter of Scott Glen's Maid (current Open dog) and Ted is a son of Scott's Pleat. By the time I spent the money on breeding this pup and a c-section, I could probably have bought a great dog - but dare I say, I think THIS is a great pup - lucky, lucky me. I feel very blessed.



Jet, mom


Ted, the sire


Category Article , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.